What were the first modern Discrete Mathematics and Precalculus texts?

In summary, the first textbook for the modern syllabus of precalculus was developed in the early 1980s and the first textbook for the modern syllabus of discrete mathematics was developed in the early 1960s. Both were likely a result of the experimentation in science education in the US during this time period and were possibly funded by organizations such as the NSF. Before precalculus, the subject was referred to as mathematical analysis, as seen in texts like Dolciani's eponymous book.
The Bill
What was the first textbook for the modern syllabus of precaclulus which had "precalculus" in the title or subtitle?

What was the first textbook for the modern syllabus of discrete mathematics which had "discrete," "discrete mathematics" in the title or subtitle?

If you have personal experience with one of the books that gets mentioned, what are your opinions of it? How do you feel about its direct influence on students and educators, and possibly about its long term influence on mathematics education?

I've been wondering about the circumstances of the origins of these book+course trends. I don't fully trust the timelines of the search results I've gotten so far, and I want to see more personal opinions than I've found so far.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am guessing that they were developed in the late fifties and sixties which were a period of experimentation in science education in the US. You might try looking for the organizations that were doing the work. The NSF funded a lot of the work, so you might look into their history.

The earliest I could find were the early sixties for discrete math and the early eighties for precalculus. I think before then precqlc it was called (mathematical) analysis, e.g. Dolciani's eponymous text

1. What is Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, such as integers, graphs, and statements. It is used to study and solve problems in computer science, cryptography, and other fields.

2. When was the first modern Discrete Mathematics text published?

The first modern Discrete Mathematics text, "Discrete Mathematics" by László Lovász, József Pelikán, and Katalin Vesztergombi, was published in 1975.

3. What is Precalculus?

Precalculus is a course that covers topics in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry that are necessary for studying calculus. It includes concepts such as functions, equations, and graphing.

4. When was the first modern Precalculus text published?

The first modern Precalculus text, "Precalculus" by David Cohen, Theodore B. Lee, and David Sklar, was published in 1980.

5. What is the difference between Discrete Mathematics and Precalculus?

Discrete Mathematics focuses on discrete objects and their properties, while Precalculus covers a broader range of topics in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Discrete Mathematics is also more closely related to computer science and other fields, while Precalculus is a prerequisite for studying calculus.