What Will Be the Velocity of the Center of Mass of the Raft?

In summary, a group of friends jumps perpendicularly into a river from a square raft at the same velocity. The question is asked about the velocity of the center of mass of the raft, and the law of conservation of momentum is suggested as a possible solution. The mass of the friends and the raft is not mentioned, but it is implied that they are all the same. The problem involves two-dimensional motion and a diagram may be helpful in solving it. The helpers ask for observations and equations to be written out in order to lead to the answer, as they cannot solve the problem for the person asking.
Akash47

Homework Statement

Suppose your three friends and you are on a square shaped raft. You all have jumped mutually perpendicularly into the river from the raft at velocity 2m/s at the same time. What will be the velocity of the center of mass of the raft?

Homework Equations

Maybe,the law of conservation of momentum will help.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to do that,because the mass of the four guy and the raft isn't mentioned.So how can I deal with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe there's a clue there. Think about the symmetry of the problem.

Akash47 said:
Not sure how to do that,because the mass of the four guy and the raft isn't mentioned.
The implied assumption is likely that your mass is the same as that of your friends, you can call it ##m##. The raft mass you can call ##M##.

Likes Navin
Orodruin said:
The implied assumption is likely that your mass is the same as that of your friends, you can call it ##m##. The raft mass you can call ##M##.
But what's next?There's two dimensional motion here as the angle is mentioned.So how can I proceed?

What is the momentum carried away by each jumper? What does it mean for the momentum of the raft?

Please tell me in detail.As you can see that the motion of the friends is not confined in a straight line,but in four different sides.

Akash47 said:
Please tell me in detail.As you can see that the motion of the friends is not confined in a straight line,but in four different sides.
I am fully aware of this and I am asking you a direct question. Answering that question instead of asking to be spoon-fed will bring you closer to the answer. Nobody here is going to solve the problem for you, that would be against forum rules, which you agreed to when you signed up.

Theres a reason i love mechanics so much ,and that is the fact that a picture can tell more than a thousand words !

Well if i were you ,id sketch out(like make diagram ,not actually make an artsy sketch !) the events taking place in the problem and then make observations and write out a few equations

Once you answer the questions asked by Orodruin it shall easily lead you the answer,i assure you.

And yea 'tis implied that that all four men have same mass.[Note : i just realized that you are a new member , and whrn i was new to the site ,i was really confused when helpers asked me questions like "what does
this imply and what does that imply" at first i thought they were asking for clearification of the question and i was rather confused ,

but in actuality those questions (and the answers to them) lead one to the answer.After all tis much better if one finds an answer rather than being given an answer !]

Likes Orodruin

1. How did the friends jump from the raft?

The friends most likely jumped off the side of the raft into the water.

2. Was the jump successful?

The success of the jump would depend on the individual's abilities, the height of the jump, and the depth of the water.

3. What factors could affect the jump?

The factors that could affect the jump include the height of the jump, the depth of the water, the physical abilities of the individuals, and any obstacles in the water.

4. What are the potential risks of jumping from a raft?

The potential risks of jumping from a raft include injury from the jump itself, injury from hitting objects in the water, and drowning if the water is too deep or the individual is not a strong swimmer.

5. Can jumping from a raft be a scientific experiment?

Yes, jumping from a raft can be a scientific experiment if it is conducted in a controlled environment with specific variables and measurements taken. For example, scientists could study the effects of different heights or water depths on the jump or analyze the movements and forces involved in the jump.