What would happen if a character could split atoms with their mind in a novel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical scenario of a character with the ability to control and manipulate energy. The main question is what would happen if this character were to split a hydrogen atom with their mind. It is determined that this would not be possible as hydrogen atoms cannot be split like heavier elements such as uranium. It would take energy to split a hydrogen atom and hydrogen bombs work through fusion rather than fission. The conversation also explores the possibility of using matter-antimatter annihilation as an alternative source of energy. Additionally, it is suggested that the character's power could also potentially allow them to fuse hydrogen atoms together to create other elements.
Renee'
I have an insane hypothetical question about energy and spitting atoms. I am currently writing my first novel in which my main character has the ability to control and manipulate energy. My hold up right now is what would happen if said character were to split a hydrogen atom with her mind. My idea came from her being so powerful that she could basically create an atom bomb out of thin air. What would happen in real life if someone were able to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of energy does it take to split a hydrogen atom?

Renee' said:
What kind of energy does it take to split a hydrogen atom?

A nuclear weapon works by splitting heavy elements like uranium and plutonium and/or fusing hydrogen isotopes. You cannot split hydrogen like you can uranium because there's nothing to split. Heavy elements have many protons and neutrons, so they can be split into lighter elements. The vast majority of hydrogen is in the form of protium, which is a single proton with an electron. There's literally nothing to "split". Removing the electron from hydrogen isn't splitting, it's known as "ionizing" and takes a a few electron-volts of energy to do.

Renee' said:
My idea came from her being so powerful that she could basically create an atom bomb out of thin air. What would happen in real life if someone were able to do this?

Hydrogen bombs work on basis of fusion and not fission. There is 'clumping together' of atoms rather than splitting:
421px-FusionintheSun.svg.png

About splitting- there are three isotopes/types of hydrogen atoms: protium (single proton) deuterium(1proton,1neutron) tritium(1proton,2neutron); protium is the most common.
Splitting a proton into its constituent quarks would take energy rather than release it.
Splitting a deuterium into proton and neutron too will take up energy too, but tritium being radio-active will release energy when it undergoes beta-emission but not enough for a H-bomb.

Conversely if your character can manipulate energy then why can't she fuse hydrogen together to make other elements?

1. What is the best way to improve my writing skills as a young writer?

The best way to improve your writing skills is to practice regularly and seek feedback from others. Joining a writing group or taking a writing class can also be beneficial. Additionally, reading books and articles by established authors can help you learn different writing styles and techniques.

2. How can I overcome writer's block?

Writer's block can be frustrating, but there are a few strategies you can try to overcome it. One approach is to take a break from writing and do something else, like going for a walk or listening to music. Another tip is to try writing in a different location or at a different time of day. You can also try free writing or brainstorming to get your creative juices flowing.

3. What should I do if I receive negative feedback on my writing?

Receiving negative feedback can be tough, but it's important to remember that it is a valuable learning opportunity. Take the feedback into consideration and use it to improve your writing. Don't be afraid to ask for specific examples or suggestions for improvement. It's also helpful to remember that not everyone will like your writing, and that's okay.

4. How do I know when my writing is ready to be shared with others?

Determining when your writing is ready to be shared with others is a personal decision. However, a good rule of thumb is to have at least a few drafts and to have received feedback from a trusted source. You can also ask yourself if you feel confident and proud of your writing before sharing it with others.

5. What are some common mistakes young writers make, and how can I avoid them?

Some common mistakes young writers make include using overly complex language, not revising or editing their work, and not being open to feedback. To avoid these mistakes, try to keep your writing clear and concise, and always revise and edit your work. Be open to constructive criticism and use it to improve your writing.