What's all this supercapacitor stuff anyhow?

In summary: I need a discharge current that is much greater than 10 mA.Anyone on this site that happens to be a supercapacitor expert?In summary, there are some questions that need to be answered before a supercapacitor can be used in a specific application. These questions include what effects ESR has on charge and discharge rates, what technology is available for fast charge rates, and what alternatives are available if ESR is a problem.
dnyberg2 said:
Then somethings wrong somewhere. With a load of 60mA I get about 4 minutes of power down to about 1.5 volts. With a charge current of 10mA, it takes 24 minutes to charge the cap back to 3 volts...
Could be the capacitance of the actual capacitor is much greater than specified. Some have a wide tolerance of -0% to +80%.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh yea, I see that now. Crazy wide tolerance. I wonder if that moves around very much over the life of the part?

dnyberg2 said:
Then somethings wrong somewhere. With a load of 60mA I get about 4 minutes of power down to about 1.5 volts. With a charge current of 10mA, it takes 24 minutes to charge the cap back to 3 volts...
Both charge and discharge figures suggest the actual capacitance is 9.6F.

Thats a MUCH bigger # than the 3.3F on the wrapper!

I wonder why the tolerance band is so crappy for caps unless you spend $100 a piece for them?

That brings up another important question. Is there such a thing as an accurate capacitance meter that can measure tens of farads? If I were to market this thing, I'd need a way to quality control the actual capacitor value.

dnyberg2 said:
I find it interesting that the low current charger I have can be six volts @ no load but the that supercap pulls that down until it gets up near full voltage. Then it seems that the "load" of the cap itself can hold the low current CHG CKT down around 3 volts. I was surprised to see that behavior but I've never really worked so closely with supercaps before.
C=eA/d where d is the plate separation. So for max C you want min d but small d reduces the breakdown voltage. I think it's more complicated with supercaps but my guess is that over their rated voltage they are either breaking down or the leakage is going way up dragging down the source voltage.