What's an economics major to do?

In summary, the individual is a sophomore at a low-to-middle tier 2 school, double majoring in Economics and Mathematics and aiming to attend a top graduate school for either subject. They are currently maintaining a 3.7 GPA, which is expected to rise to a 3.8 once core courses are completed. They have also taken a practice GRE with strong scores in math and verbal. The main question is what steps they should take to increase their chances of acceptance at schools like MIT and Princeton, beyond maintaining a high GPA and GRE scores. Suggestions include conducting independent research, obtaining strong recommendations, and writing a strong statement of purpose. The individual acknowledges the challenges of conducting research at the undergraduate level, but is determined to find opportunities in
philosophking
What's an economics major to do? :)

Hey all, I really need some help. I am currently an sophomore at a low-to-middle tier 2 school (I'm going there on full scholarship). I'm double majoring in Economics and Mathematics, and want to go to a good grad school for either subject (preferably economics).

I'm trying to keep my gpa high, but I'm in an honors program here that is pretty difficult (relative to the status of the school), so right now I'm standing at a 3.7. After cores are out of the way, it'll probably jump to a 3.8 (the trend is that I get A's in my major courses and subpar on everything else heh). I took a practice GRE and almost scored a perfect on the math, and a ~650 on verbal.

My question is this: what are the main things I have to do if I have my goals set on MIT, Princeton, etc. for graduate school? Should I start doing independent research, and if so, how many papers would you recommend? What else, besides gpa and GRE scores (also, I'll be taking the Putnam the next two years) are needed?

I know doing math research is difficult at the undergraduate level, and I'm really not sure what I could write papers on in economics, although I'm sure I could find things. Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Research, recs and "statement of purpose" are crucial. Find a professor who does interesting work who's willing to let you work with him.

Thank you very much.

Related to What's an economics major to do?

1. What is an economics major?

An economics major is a field of study that focuses on the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. It examines how individuals, businesses, and governments make decisions about allocating resources to achieve their goals.

2. What career options are available for economics majors?

Economics majors can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as finance, consulting, banking, data analysis, market research, and government. They can also work in industries such as healthcare, education, and non-profit organizations.

3. Is an economics major a good choice for me?

Choosing a major is a personal decision and depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. If you are interested in understanding how the economy works and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, then economics may be a good fit for you.

4. What skills do economics majors develop?

Economics majors develop skills in critical thinking, data analysis, problem-solving, and communication. They also gain a strong understanding of economic principles and how to apply them to real-world situations.

5. What can I do with an economics major besides working in the field of economics?

An economics major can be useful in a variety of industries and careers, as it provides a strong foundation in analytical and problem-solving skills. Economics majors can also work in fields such as law, public policy, international relations, and entrepreneurship.