What's "Coulomb's law but ##F## converges as ##r\rightarrow##0" called?

• B
  • Thread starter not my name
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses a modified version of Coulomb's law and Newtonian gravity, where the strength of the charge is determined by what F converges to as r approaches 0. The speaker mentions that this is their personal speculation and does not provide a reference. The conversation is then closed.
not my name
And is that modified version of Coulomb's law "more accurate"?
Edit: Same thing goes for Newtonian gravity, is "Newtonian gravity but ##F## converges as ##r\rightarrow##0" "more accurate"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What modified form?

Likes topsquark
Ibix said:
What modified form?
The thing inside the quotation mark in the title.

not my name said:
What's inside the quotation mark in the title.
There are infinitely many ways to achieve that. Which one do you mean? And where are you getting the idea from?

Likes topsquark and Dale
Ibix said:
Which one do you mean?
I mean the "one" where what ##F## converges to determines the strength of the charge.

not my name said:
I mean the "one" where what ##F## converges to determines the strength of the charge.
Can you provide a reference to what you are talking about?

Ibix said:
Can you provide a reference to what you are talking about?
No. (It's just something I came up with.)

So this is something you've made up? You might want to re-read the rules on personal theories if so. Otherwise, say where you read/heard about this and it might be possible to help. What you have said so far isn't narrowing anything down for me.

Likes topsquark and Dale
not my name said:
And is that modified version of Coulomb's law "more accurate"?
Edit: Same thing goes for Newtonian gravity, is "Newtonian gravity but ##F## converges as ##r\rightarrow##0" "more accurate"?
It is called “personal speculation”.

Thread closed.

Likes topsquark

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What does "F converges as r approaches 0" mean?

This means that as the distance between two charged particles decreases, the force between them becomes larger and larger. In other words, the force becomes infinitely strong as the distance between the particles approaches zero.

Why does F converge as r approaches 0 in Coulomb's law?

This is due to the inverse square relationship in Coulomb's law. As the distance between two charged particles decreases, the denominator in the equation (r^2) becomes smaller and smaller, causing the overall force to increase and converge to infinity as r approaches 0.

What is the significance of F converging as r approaches 0 in Coulomb's law?

This convergence highlights the strong repulsive or attractive forces between charged particles when they are very close to each other. It also shows that the force between charged particles can become infinitely strong at extremely small distances.

How is the convergence of F as r approaches 0 in Coulomb's law related to the concept of electric fields?

The convergence of F as r approaches 0 is directly related to the concept of electric fields. As the distance between two charged particles decreases, the electric field between them becomes stronger and stronger, eventually reaching infinity at r=0. This demonstrates the close relationship between Coulomb's law and the concept of electric fields.