What's going to be my hardest semester?

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, the speaker currently works 20 hours a week but due to their class schedule, they will only be able to work 10 hours a week in the fall. They are planning to speak with their program's director to see if this will be acceptable, but it may still not be enough for them to live on. They are also facing the challenge of potentially having to commute to class and find another job due to living in their father's old house until he sells it. They then go on to mention the remaining courses they have to complete over the next few years, with a particular emphasis on the challenges they may face in electromagnetic theory and Quantum.
Shackleford
I currently work ~20 hours/week. This fall my class schedule will only allow me to work 10 hours/week. My manager is going to talk to my program's director about that to see if it would be acceptable working half of what they hired me on for over a year ago. Even if, that's not enough for me to live on. And, also, it's probably going to be a problem each semester. My brother and I are living in my Dad's old house until he sells it, which he prefers sooner than later. He moved about an hour or so away. I could quit my current job then make a long commute to class and get another job somewhere else. Sorry for the rant. I'm just a bit frustrated and looking at the daunting remaining courses isn't helping much either.

Fall - Modern Physics II (really undergrad QM), Intermediate Mechanics, Modern Optics and Modern Optics Lab

Spring - Thermal Physics, Introduction to Solid State Physics, Introduction to Partial Differential Equations

Fall - Intermediate Electromagnetic Theory I, Seminar in Advanced Laboratory Analysis, Advanced Laboratory I, Introduction to Astrophysics

Spring - Advanced Laboratory II, Intermediate Electromagnetic Theory II, 4000-level MATH course.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on your teachers. I have had classes that I worked my butt off and got a low B, and other classes that I slept through and made and easy A. Topic wise (and everyone is different) electromagnetic theory and Quantum are the two that get most people.

Related to What's going to be my hardest semester?

1. What makes a semester difficult?

A difficult semester can be caused by a variety of factors, such as taking a heavy course load, struggling with challenging concepts, or dealing with personal issues that affect academic performance.

2. How can I prepare for a challenging semester?

To prepare for a challenging semester, create a realistic study schedule, seek help from professors or tutors, and maintain a healthy balance between academics and self-care.

3. What steps can I take to succeed in a difficult semester?

To succeed in a difficult semester, prioritize your workload, stay organized, actively participate in class, and seek out additional resources, such as study groups or academic support services.

4. Is it okay to drop a class if it becomes too difficult?

It is important to carefully consider the consequences of dropping a class, such as delaying graduation or impacting financial aid. It may be beneficial to speak with an academic advisor before making a decision.

5. How can I stay motivated during a challenging semester?

To stay motivated during a challenging semester, set achievable goals, remind yourself of your long-term aspirations, and seek support from friends, family, and mentors. It is also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.