What's the Best Calculus Review Book for Physics-based Courses?

In summary, the individual is seeking a textbook to review and expand their limited knowledge of Calculus in preparation for a Physics course that heavily utilizes Calculus. They also express interest in studying advanced Calculus topics and their application in Physics, particularly in Biophysics. They mention their background in math courses and their desire for a book that explains concepts and allows for self-study. They are recommended to try "Mathematical Methods in Physical Science" by Boas and to explore various other calculus textbooks in a university library. The importance of working exercises is also emphasized.
BioCore
So I just started my Physics class over the summer about a week ago. For the first time, it is a course that uses Calculus a lot and so it will be a bit different for me although I do not think it will be too much of a difference.

My current knowledge though of Calculus is very small and only extends to power series with limited knowledge. Seeing as my professor started using vectors, but with Calculus explanation has left me a bit dazed, so to speak.

Basically I would like a textbook that can help me somewhat review rather quickly and then teach myself some of the more advanced Calculus topics that are generally used within Calculus based Physics courses. Also I would like to further my knowledge of Physics then a bit so I guess I would need to study more advanced Calculus topics and thus would like to know what people would recommend there.

~~~
A Bit of background:
I am a student at the University of Toronto, studying Biotechnology and hope to do a Masters in Biotechnology and then move into industry. Who knows maybe even try and make a start-up later in life as I have thought of this also.

Currently I am really interested in BioChemistry since it is the basics of Biotechnology. But I have also started having some greater interest in Physics and specifically its' uses in Biophysics. So I would like to teach myself some Biophysics later on.
~~~

Thus after reading this somewhat long post, what textbook would you all recommend that I use to review and expand my current Calculus knowledge?

BTW,
A book I was thinking of using is called:
"Single variable calculus : early transcendentals 5th ed." by Stewart, James
or would "Multivariable Calculus" by the same author be better?

Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
this book will have a lot more than you need but is an overall good math reference:

Mathematical Methods in Physical Science - Boas

Thank you for the advice mgiddy. I just had a look at the textbook as I am luckily in the library at this time - it is quite a thick book as you mentioned. But I am not sure if I would be able to learn from it as easily although I am not sure.

Maybe if I give some more information about myself it will help.
~~~
Basically I took advanced Functions and Intro Calculus in my last year of high school and then took Calculus for Bio majors in University. This was my last course in mathematics.

Although I did achieve good solid marks in High School I did notice that in University I had lacked a lot in some of the knowledge and I particularly blame my lack of interest or enthusiasm which was something that was brought on by the courses at High school. They usually do not try to connect math to the many uses in other subjects.

Anyways, as I started Physics I noticed I would have to get a stronger understanding of its roots (so to say). Specifically its' language which brought me back to Calculus. So I would like a book that could explain to me the concepts and that would allow me to study some more advanced topic like Differential Equations and I believe it is called Linear Algebra, while at the same time allowing me to easily study Quantum Mechanics later on as well.
~~~

I hope that shed some light on my concerns.

Are you planning to take those other math classes you mentioned? or do you just want to self study them.
You may find studying QM very hard without proper math requisite. Self study may not give you enough knowledge to succeed.

40 years ago or so, when i was a student, a prof at maybe mit wrote a book on vector analysis for physics students called maybe "div, grad, curl, and all that". you might look at it, after you get your basic calc back. i myself have not used it and only perused it briefly in a store years ago, so cannot remember enough to evaluate or describe it, but i have heard some other people recommend it.

Since there exist so many hundreds of calc books out there, i suggest you go to a university library and sit down in the calc book section and look at lots of them until you find one that speaks to you, i.e. that you can learn from right on the spot by reading it.

then keep reading it in the library as long as you can. when you get up you will know if you want to study from it.

even then if it gets less useful, just go back and with your new improved knowledge, read some more and pick another one or more and try those.

but just start reading and WORKING EXERCISES, or else your reading will be for nought.

1. What makes a calculus review book suitable for physics-based courses?

A suitable calculus review book for physics-based courses should cover topics that are relevant to physics, such as vectors, derivatives and integrals of vector functions, multivariable calculus, and applications of calculus in physics. It should also include practice problems and examples that are specifically related to physics concepts.

2. Are there any specific calculus review books that are highly recommended for physics-based courses?

There are several calculus review books that are highly recommended for physics-based courses, such as "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William L. Briggs and Lyle Cochran, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic" by Ross L. Finney, Franklin D. Demana, Bert K. Waits, and Daniel Kennedy.

3. Can a regular calculus review book be used for physics-based courses?

While a regular calculus review book may cover some of the necessary topics for physics-based courses, it may not include enough practice problems or examples related to physics. It is recommended to use a calculus review book that specifically caters to physics-based courses in order to adequately prepare for the subject.

4. How can I determine the level of difficulty for a calculus review book for physics-based courses?

You can determine the level of difficulty for a calculus review book by looking at the topics covered and the types of practice problems and examples included. A more advanced calculus review book may cover topics such as vector calculus and differential equations, while a less advanced book may focus on basic calculus concepts.

5. Are there any additional resources that can supplement a calculus review book for physics-based courses?

Yes, there are several additional resources that can supplement a calculus review book for physics-based courses, such as online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. It is also helpful to attend extra help sessions or work with a tutor to better understand the material and improve problem-solving skills.