What's the deal with plasma physicists setting heat cap. ratio to 3?

In summary, the author is complaining that the equation for heat capacity should be $$\omega^2 = \omega_{p,e}^2 + \frac{\gamma k_B T_e k^2}{m_e}$$ but the instructor keeps using ##\gamma = 3## which implies that ##N_d = 1##.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This has persistently bugged me in my intro plasma course. They keep using ##\gamma = 3## aka ##N_d = 1## (where ##N_d## is the number of degrees of freedom in the molecule) as an approximation. See for example, the Bohm-Gross dispersion curve. I can tell you from deriving this that the factor of 3 in front of the ##k_b T## is the heat capacity ratio ##\gamma##. In other words, that equation ought to be $$\omega^2 = \omega_{p,e}^2 + \frac{\gamma k_B T_e k^2}{m_e}$$ and they've taken ##\gamma = 3##. What the heck man?

To clarify why I find this confusing, ##\gamma = \frac{N_d + 2}{N_d} = 3## implies that ##N_d = 1##. What kind of toy molecule has one degree of freedom?? Pure unobtainium vapor?

Edit: should have specified, the Bohm-Gross dispersion curve is for Langmuir waves (longitudinal waves in the electrons with the ions stationary). In other words, the ##\gamma## there is for electrons. Last time I checked electrons could move in three dimensions?? (##N_d = 3## therefore ##\gamma = \frac{5}{3}##).

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Welp, I was looking for another source to prove what I claimed about the factor of 3 being ##\gamma## in the Bohm-Gross dispersion curve, and I stumbled on the answer too. We need a "clown" emoji for situations like this.

From this document,
With the assumption that the electron compression occurs one-dimensionally and faster than thermal conduction, we have ##p_1 = \gamma T n_1##, with ##\gamma = 3##
Am I right to think that this means that there is a breakdown of the equipartition theorem because thermal energy doesn't have time to redistribute from the longitudinal axis of propagation to the transverse axes?

If you feel a little uncertain about the legitimacy of the result, linearized kinetic theory is another way to derive the dispersion relation. The factor of 3 naturally falls out of the calculation without explicitly making the ##\gamma=3## assumption.

jason

• Informative
Likes Twigg

1. What is the heat capacity ratio in plasma physics?

The heat capacity ratio, also known as the adiabatic index or gamma, is a measure of the efficiency of a gas or plasma in converting thermal energy into kinetic energy. It is denoted by the symbol γ and is typically set to a value of 3 in plasma physics.

2. Why is the heat capacity ratio set to 3 in plasma physics?

The value of 3 for the heat capacity ratio is based on theoretical and experimental studies of plasma behavior. It is found to be the most accurate representation of the thermodynamic properties of plasma, which is crucial for understanding and predicting its behavior in various applications.

3. How does the heat capacity ratio affect plasma behavior?

The heat capacity ratio influences the compression and expansion of plasma, as well as its temperature and pressure. It is also related to the speed of sound in plasma and can affect the stability and dynamics of plasma in different environments.

4. Can the heat capacity ratio be different from 3 in plasma physics?

While 3 is the most commonly used value for the heat capacity ratio in plasma physics, it can vary depending on the specific properties and conditions of the plasma. In some cases, a slightly different value may be used for more accurate calculations, but 3 is generally accepted as a good approximation.

5. Is the heat capacity ratio used in other fields of science?

Yes, the heat capacity ratio is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is used in various fields of science, including fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, and astrophysics. It is also relevant in engineering and technology, particularly in the design and operation of engines and turbines.