What's the future of Philosophy?

In summary, this conversation is about how the distinction between philosophy and science is changing, and how questions about our physical reality are being delegated to scientists.
unchained1978
I get the feeling that much of the time, philosophers discuss things that make claims about our reality and how it works. I'm of the opinion that claims made about the natural world that can't be tested are a bit irrelevant, so I typically ignore them. It seems though, throughout the history of some branches of philosophy, the questions they asked were of a scientific nature and eventually "answered" by science, rendering the question a bit obsolete. This makes me wonder what will be left to philosophers as science progresses. I'm not embracing a stone cold empiricist point of view, because I do value the avenues of inquiry philosophy has opened up in the past, but I can't help but think that questions like "How does consciousness arise?" and a few others will ultimately fall within the purview of science, rather than some armchair conversation between men smoking pipes. (Too much of a caricature :) )
Does anyone have any interesting thoughts on the matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, another quick question. Why are philosophical 'theories' rarely required to meet any standards of evidence whatsoever? It seems that if they're talking about our world and how it interacts and such, it should be falsifiable, even if in a modest sense.

unchained1978 said:
Does anyone have any interesting thoughts on the matter?

I never have any interesting thoughts about anything, but that doesn't stop me from expressing them. Even as recently as when my father was in university (graduated in 1927), "Science" was called "Natural Philosophy" (although differentiated into physics, chemistry, etc.). In the old days, philosophy referred to anything requiring serious thought.

Danger said:
In the old days, philosophy referred to anything requiring serious thought.
Now though, there is a pretty clear distinction from philosophy and science as far as I can tell. That's what I'm curious about. Questions about nature are delegated to scientists, although philosophers still consider them as well, but from different perspectives that don't seem to lead to a better understanding of nature. Admittedly, I'm not a philosopher at all so I can't really say I know what I'm talking about. It's just an impression I've gotten from reading up a bit.

I haven't looked up the definition (and I'm not going to because my dictionary is on the floor under more empty beer cans and pizza boxes than I care to dig through), but to me "philosophy" is a mind-set—a way of thinking about things—that might or might not involve physical principles. That is, however, just my personal opinion.

There are correct and incorrect ways to discuss philosophy. Here at PF, we don't have staff with the proper training and/or interest to monitor such discussions. We used to have a philosophy section but it was a constant struggle to keep it up to our standards. The signal to noise ratio was tiny.

For those reasons, we don't discuss philosophy here.

1. What is the purpose of Philosophy in the future?

The purpose of Philosophy in the future will likely remain the same as it has been for centuries - to explore fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, values, and reason. However, the specific areas of focus within Philosophy may shift and adapt to address contemporary issues and advancements in technology.

2. Will Philosophy become obsolete in the future?

No, it is unlikely that Philosophy will become obsolete in the future. As long as there are fundamental questions about life and the human experience, there will be a need for philosophical inquiry. Additionally, Philosophy can also offer valuable perspectives and critical thinking skills in fields such as ethics, politics, and technology.

3. How will advancements in technology impact Philosophy in the future?

Advancements in technology will likely continue to shape the way we approach philosophical questions and the methods we use to explore them. For example, the field of bioethics has emerged as a result of advancements in medicine and biotechnology, raising new ethical questions for philosophers to consider.

4. Will there be new branches or fields of Philosophy in the future?

It is possible that new branches or fields of Philosophy may emerge in the future as society and technology continue to evolve. Some potential areas of growth could include Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence, Philosophy of Virtual Reality, and Philosophy of Space Exploration.

5. How can Philosophy contribute to solving future global issues?

Philosophy can contribute to solving future global issues by offering critical thinking skills, ethical frameworks, and perspectives on complex problems. For example, Philosophical theories such as utilitarianism and deontology can be applied to ethical dilemmas in areas like climate change and social justice. Additionally, Philosophers can also provide valuable insights and critiques of societal systems and structures that may contribute to global issues.