What's the point of life? Struggling to find purpose and joy in daily existence.

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Point
In summary, this individual is experiencing a lack of motivation which is typically caused by something outside of their control (brain chemistry, weather, planetary alignments). They reassure the reader that this will pass and that they should not worry too much, as they have read a quote that says "It doesn't matter, but it doesn't matter that it doesn't matter." They also mention that if they are feeling particularly down, they should try to find something they are good at and enjoy doing.
Eclair_de_XII
Nothing I do seems to matter anymore and it is becoming nearly impossible for me to take interest in the world around me.

Likes Frigus
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry. I assure within 12 hours you will love food in the world around you to take.

Likes Frigus and mcastillo356
I understand you. It also happens to me. I not only loose motivation, I get angry...It is usually a sudden emotion that vanishes. I've recently read a quote... Let me see:
download.jpg
Edited: This quote must be qualified: one cannot do anything for others if it doesn't take care of himself. Love and greetings

Last edited:
Likes BillTre and Frigus
Eclair_de_XII said:
Nothing I do seems to matter anymore and it is becoming nearly impossible for me to take interest in the world around me.
It is just escape mechanism from the work.
I just make it clear to myself that I will keep working even with this feeling and it goes away.

Likes mcastillo356
Sometimes it's hard to see better times ahead but at those times, for me, the key to getting though is to appreciate the little things, even the ones that don't matter.

It doesn't matter that I can listen to the birds singing, but it makes me happy
It doesn't matter that I can look at flowers/the sea/the countryside/a nice sunset but it makes me happy
It doesn't matter that I can listen to music I like, but it makes me happy.
It doesn't matter that I can eat a fantastic meal, go for a walk, read a good book, but it makes me happy.

It doesn't matter, but it doesn't matter that it doesn't matter.Like Hemant says above, I know that when I feel like this, it's temporary, caused by things I often don't understand (brain chemistry? weather? planetary alignments? :wink: ) and that just as inexplicably as it started, it will go away again.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, Frigus and mcastillo356
One aphorism that I like is "Live the game, play the life".

Read Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

Likes Haborix
The meaning of life is finding out what you are good at. The purpose of life is to find out how to give it away. Service to self is hollow. Service to others is fulfilling.

• Love
  • Informative
Likes Math100, mcastillo356, davenn and 4 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
The meaning of life is finding out what you are good at. The purpose of life is to find out how to give it away. Service to self is hollow. Service to others is fulfilling.
And who better to personify this adage than the great philosopher Conan the Cimmerian. As a wee lil' beefcake he had found out that he was best at crushing his enemies, seeing them driven before him, and listening to the lamentations of their women. He would then go on to live a happy and fulfilling life, sharing his passion with many a sorcerer.

Having the occasional patch of no motivation happens to us all. We get through it one way or another, and life gets sunnier again.
There is certainly also something called clinical depression that is clearly affected by physical neurobiology. Often there is a clear genetic predisposition to be found for these individuals. The good news is that this is now a treatable problem and life gets sunnier again.
The problem is that untreated clinical depression can be fatal. You need to seek professional help if these issues are screwing up your life. Talk to to someone and figure out next steps.
And when you figure out this mortal coil , please let me know!

Likes fresh_42
Thank you everybody for caring and trying to help the OP through this. I will close this thread now, as we've had to delete several well-meaning replies. It is not easy to help a person deal with depression and difficult life challenges.

@Eclair_de_XII -- If you have not done so already, please talk with your family doctor about how you are feeling. You will find that they are a wonderful resource to help you through this and out the other side to better times. Also please feel free to PM me if you want some information on resources that are available to you. Be well.

Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, Bystander and 2 others

1. What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is a highly subjective and philosophical question that has been pondered by humans for centuries. It ultimately depends on an individual's beliefs, values, and experiences. Some people believe the meaning of life is to seek happiness and fulfillment, while others may see it as fulfilling a specific purpose or destiny.

2. How can I find purpose in my daily existence?

Finding purpose in daily existence can be a challenging task, but it is ultimately up to the individual to define their own purpose. Some ways to find purpose include exploring your passions and interests, setting goals, helping others, and pursuing personal growth and development.

3. Why do I struggle to find joy in daily life?

There can be many reasons why someone may struggle to find joy in daily life. It could be due to external factors such as stress, difficult circumstances, or mental health issues. It could also be a reflection of internal struggles, such as a lack of fulfillment or a sense of disconnection from oneself. It's important to identify the root cause and seek help or make changes to improve your overall well-being.

4. Is there a universal purpose for all humans?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question as it is subjective and based on individual beliefs. Some people believe in a universal purpose, while others believe that each person creates their own purpose in life.

5. Can science provide answers to the purpose of life?

Science can provide insights and information about the world and our existence, but it cannot provide a definitive answer to the purpose of life. The meaning and purpose of life are complex and deeply personal concepts that go beyond the realm of science. It is up to each individual to find their own meaning and purpose in life.