What's the unitary matrix equivalent to a beam splitter?

In summary, there are various matrices used to represent beam splitters, including the square root of NOT matrix and the Hadamard matrix. The major difference between the two is that the Hadamard matrix has a 180-degree phase shift, while the square root of NOT matrix has a proportional phase factor. It is generally accepted that the Hadamard matrix is the beam splitter, but the phases may vary depending on the context. This can be adjusted by using half wave plates on the paths.
Strilanc
Science Advisor
I've seen various different matrices used to represent beam splitters, and am wondering which is the "right" one. Alternatively, are there various kinds of beam splitters but everyone just ambiguously calls them the same thing?

The matrices I've seen are the square-root-of-not-with-extra-phase-factor matrix ##A = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & i \\ i & 1 \end{bmatrix}## here and here, and the hadamard matrix ##H = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{bmatrix}## here.

A major difference between the square root of NOT gate and the Hadamard gate is that ##H^2 = I## whereas ##A^2 \propto X##. Also, if you have a 180-degree phase shift gate ##Z## then ##HZH = X## whereas ##AZA = A^2 e^{i \pi Z/2}##.

Which operation should I be thinking of, when an article says "beam splitter"?

I'm no expert but I think the Hadamard matrix is the beam splitter and the phase factor is due to the length of the arm in an interferometer type setup.

I also asked this on the physics stackexchange, and the answer there was that it's ambiguous. Typically the splitting will be even (as opposed to a photon being split 90% one way and 10% the other), but the phases may depend on the context (and are easily adjusted by placing half wave plates on one of the paths).

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix with complex entries that has an inverse that is equal to its conjugate transpose. This means that multiplying a unitary matrix by its conjugate transpose will result in the identity matrix.

2. What is a beam splitter?

A beam splitter is an optical device that divides an incident beam of light into two or more beams, typically with equal or unequal intensities. It is commonly used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in interferometers and optical communication systems.

3. How is a beam splitter represented mathematically?

A beam splitter can be represented by a unitary matrix, which is often referred to as a "beam splitter matrix". This matrix describes the transformation of the input light amplitudes to the output light amplitudes, taking into account the reflectivity and transmissivity of the beam splitter.

4. How is a unitary matrix equivalent to a beam splitter?

A unitary matrix can be considered equivalent to a beam splitter in the sense that both have the property of preserving the total probability. In the case of a unitary matrix, this means that the sum of the squared magnitudes of the input amplitudes is equal to the sum of the squared magnitudes of the output amplitudes. Similarly, a beam splitter divides the input beam of light into two or more output beams, with the total intensity (probability) conserved.

5. How are unitary matrices and beam splitters used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, unitary matrices and beam splitters are used to describe the behavior of quantum systems and the manipulation of quantum states. They are commonly used in quantum algorithms, quantum gates, and quantum circuits, and play a crucial role in quantum information processing and quantum computing.