What's with deuterium? an organic problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the stability of positive charge near the -CD3 and CH3 groups. It is determined that deuterium, with an additional neutron in the nucleus, is heavier and therefore causes steric hindrance, leading to slower reactions. The term "IMHO" is also clarified to mean "in my humble opinion."
mooncrater

Homework Statement

I did a question in which positive charge was unstable near to ##-CD_3## group but was stable near to ##CH_3## group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is it like that? Is deuterium less active for hyperconjugation or it causes more steric hindrance? What's wrong with deuterium?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many neutrons or protons Deuterium has?

It has a proton and a neutron. So steric hindrance?

mooncrater said:
It has a proton and a neutron. So steric hindrance?
I am not sure but it looks that it is the only reason. What do you think?

Yup.. it seems to me it's steric hindrance only, as it's heavier(thus bigger) than hydrogen. And it can't be hyperconjugation as it has the same configuration. That's what I think.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Do I understand correctly that you assume deuterium is larger than protium, because it has an additional neutron in nucleus? That must be off. The size of nucleus is negligible.

The only (in such cases) important difference is that D is twice heavier, so its reactions (broadly understood, not only in terms of pure chemistry, but also shape shifts) are much slower. I don't know what is the correct answer here, but that's the only valid approach IMHO.

Likes mooncrater
Borek said:
IMHO
What is IMHO? Something molecular hybrid orbital?

mooncrater said:
What is IMHO? Something molecular hybrid orbital?
In my humble opinion.

Likes mooncrater
Raghav Gupta said:
In my humble opinion.
Really? Okay...!

1. What is deuterium?

Deuterium is a naturally occurring isotope of hydrogen, with one proton and one neutron in its nucleus. It is also known as heavy hydrogen.

2. How is deuterium used in science?

Deuterium is commonly used in scientific research as a tracer element to track chemical reactions and pathways. It is also used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to study the structure and dynamics of molecules.

3. What is the difference between deuterium and hydrogen?

The main difference between deuterium and hydrogen is the number of neutrons in their nuclei. Deuterium has one neutron while hydrogen has none. This difference in mass leads to different chemical and physical properties.

4. Why is deuterium important in organic chemistry?

Deuterium is important in organic chemistry because it can be used as a labeling agent to track the movement of atoms and functional groups within a molecule. This allows for a better understanding of reaction mechanisms and pathways.

5. How is deuterium related to organic problems?

Deuterium is often used in organic chemistry to study and solve organic problems, such as understanding the mechanism of a reaction or identifying the structure of a complex molecule. Its ability to act as a tracer and its unique chemical properties make it a valuable tool in organic chemistry research.