What's your favorite part of this forum?

• Thread starter nscozzaro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary: The criteria for any of those "badges"/responsibilities/avocations/passions vary, but in general you are judged on your hundreds or thousands of posts...In summary, the forum is great because it has great expertise, a great community of people, and a great professionalism.
nscozzaro
As the title suggests, I'm wondering what's your favorite part of this forum? I'm new to this forum, and I have started to explore the nooks and crannies, but I don't want to miss anything. I'm also familiar with Reddit physics and a lot of physics people go there, so to play devil's advocate, why come here?

For example, I see that there's good math support (unlike Reddit), and since it is all about physics that can breed a better sense of community. But I'm just speculating...

Physics news on Phys.org
The private Mentor forums. o0)

Ohhh, you mean out of the forums you can see. Well then the EE forum (for obvious reasons), and the Medical forum (ditto)... :smile:

berkeman said:
The private Mentor forums. o0)

Ohhh, you mean out of the forums you can see. Well then the EE forum (for obvious reasons), and the Medical forum (ditto)... :smile:
I mean what do you like about the forum and why do you like it? You could just go elsewhere, and I gave Reddit as an example...

nscozzaro said:
I mean what do you like about the forum and why do you like it? You could just go elsewhere, and I gave Reddit as an example...
I am amazed every day at the high-level discussions about physics, math and other sciences here. We are so lucky to have so many Mentors, Science Advisors and Homework Helpers (and others) who are subject matter experts who post here to help others with good technical questions.

Likes Pythagorean, nitsuj, dlgoff and 2 others
For me its definitely the people. Still shocked that I can ask all the questions I want and super cool people put in a lot of time to help me understand. Cant wait to have enough knowledge so that I can repay by answering other peoples questions too.

Also really like the professionalism. Its a place for science and math with some random fun general stuff as well. Real glad that things like religion, politics, and other stuff like that is not allowed.

nscozzaro said:
The expertise is pretty much unique. Many members have graduated in a STEM field, are teachers or professors or have been. This guarantees a high level of support. It occasionally becomes apparent if corrections are done. I just added a correction to one of my posts which another member had sent me. So the mechanisms of corrections are also pretty well. Errors usually don't last very long.

But the most fascinating property to me isn't located anywhere. It is the fact, that I can talk about natural sciences, engineering and mathematics with people around the world at any time. All speak the same language and all those ridiculous differences become completely unimportant. You're a member of a minority in your country? Come on over, nobody here is interested in it. You are somehow disabled? It's not important here. Right and wrong isn't measured by location, culture or individual properties. The physics is the same and that's all that counts. It is amazing for someone who remembers the times when this had been impossible. I mean think of it: I talked from Europe with someone from Tasmania about math on an American server, and someone from Oregon joined the discussion. The world is so small nowadays and we are still stuck in these ridiculous national concepts, while scientists long ago abolished it. It gives me hope in times when hope became a rare good.

Likes BillTre, pinball1970, DennisN and 3 others
berkeman said:
I am amazed every day at the high-level discussions about physics, math and other sciences here. We are so lucky to have so many Mentors, Science Advisors and Homework Helpers (and others) who are subject matter experts who post here to help others with good technical questions.
Wow, thanks everyone! It sounds like it's really all about the people, who give great responses to questions. StackOverflow or Reddit also have high-level people interacting in my experience, but StackOverflow is a bit more formal/less chatty, and on Reddit there's no Latex and feels less like a dedicated community to physics, maybe.

By the way, how do you get "Mentor" status?

nscozzaro said:
My guess would be, one must first present an accredited certificate of being a masochist, before passing a hazing ritual involving running a gauntlet of bad posts and naughty attitudes :wink:.

Mentor is a fancy-shmancy name for moderator on this forum.

Likes berkeman
nscozzaro said:
One route is Homework Helper, Science Advisor, Mentor. (although the qualifications for each badge are different, so some Mentors will leapfrog the Homework Helper badge. I don't remember my path to Mentor -- it was too many centuries ago...) :smile:

The criteria for any of those "badges"/responsibilities/avocations/passions vary, but in general you are judged on your hundreds or thousands of posts for quality and sincerity and helpfulness. When I had only been here for a few years, I got a warning from a long-time Mentor for a reply I'd posted in a thread (I was a bit too short with a poster). He basically said, "I expected more from you on this". I apologized to him via the PM thread, and realized that the PF was dependent on users putting aside quick emotional responses, and instead focusing on the technical aspects and challenges of each thread. About a year later I was nominated (by that same Mentor) and became a Mentor. What an honor.

So, stick around, post great replies, be very helpful in the threads, and who knows, you might be Mentor material. :smile:

Oh, and you better be damn good at your regular work job, because the PF will take up an hour or two each day of your work time, and a couple hours of your "relaxing at home" time. You better be able to keep up at work, or else, well, you know...

berkeman said:
Oh, and you better be damn good at your regular work job, because the PF will take up an hour or two each day of your work time, and a couple hours of your "relaxing at home" time. You better be able to keep up at work, or else, well, you know...
@nscozzaro , berkeman is just kidding about it only being several hours a day and his having another job. He actually lives and works right here. I think he sleeps on a cot in the back room.

Likes berkeman and mfb
nscozzaro said:
Wow, thanks everyone! It sounds like it's really all about the people, who give great responses to questions. StackOverflow or Reddit also have high-level people interacting in my experience, but StackOverflow is a bit more formal/less chatty, and on Reddit there's no Latex and feels less like a dedicated community to physics, maybe.

The structuring of the forum is the greatest favorite thing, not so much any exact part of the forum. One can look for the right place to check for questions and answers and avoid boards of lesser interest. About the only thing I find least favorite is the inability to remove or delete ones membership.

Likes Craftek_Ana
symbolipoint said:
The structuring of the forum is the greatest favorite thing, not so much any exact part of the forum. One can look for the right place to check for questions and answers and avoid boards of lesser interest. About the only thing I find least favorite is the inability to remove or delete ones membership.
Ha, you can't delete your account on this site... "it's a trapppp!"
Seems like your desire to delete your account has passed...?

1. What is your favorite part of this forum?

As a scientist, my favorite part of this forum is the wealth of knowledge and expertise from other members. It is a great platform to learn from others and engage in discussions about various scientific topics.

2. How do you find the community atmosphere in this forum?

The community atmosphere in this forum is welcoming and supportive. It's great to see members from different backgrounds come together to share their passion for science and engage in respectful discussions.

3. Do you have a favorite section or topic in this forum?

I don't have a specific favorite section or topic as I find all the discussions in this forum to be interesting and informative. However, I do enjoy participating in discussions related to my field of expertise.

4. How often do you visit this forum?

I try to visit this forum at least a few times a week. It's a great way to stay updated on the latest scientific news and developments, and to connect with other scientists.

5. Have you made any valuable connections through this forum?

Yes, I have made some valuable connections through this forum. I have been able to collaborate on research projects and exchange ideas with other scientists from around the world. It has been a great networking platform for me.