Wheel + Trans diff + Torsion bar?

In summary, if you want to use one side of a differential without damaging the other side, you can use a torsion bar.
Khataro
TL;DR Summary
What happens if I have a cv axle on one side of a diff and a torsion bar in the other?
I have a crazy idea to make a 4 motor EV, but ran into an issue: the motors I want to use have a gear reduction (transmission?) That has a differential built into it. I only need to use one side of each, but I don't want to weld or otherwise destroy the other side of it. (That way I can repurpose or sell the parts later on) So now here's my question: if I put a torsion bar into the opposing side of the CV axle, how will that effect power delivery to the wheel? Would it have potential to improve or hinder performance and how?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom. I'm aware that this idea has potential to be brilliant, or amazingly dumb.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you lock one side of a differential, the other side will rotate at twice the speed.

Because vehicles tend to travel in close to straight lines, the pinion gears and their bearings inside the differential are only designed to rotate slowly. I would not recommend locking one side of the differential for any period of time at high speed, since it will wear quickly.

It would be better to lock the two sides of the differential together by preventing pinion rotation inside the carrier.

Likes Khataro, jack action and Lnewqban
Baluncore said:
If you lock one side of a differential, the other side will rotate at twice the speed.

Because vehicles tend to travel in close to straight lines, the pinion gears and their bearings inside the differential are only designed to rotate slowly. I would not recommend locking one side of the differential for any period of time at high speed, since it will wear quickly.

It would be better to lock the two sides of the differential together by preventing pinion rotation inside the carrier.
I feel exceptionally shortsighted for not realizing this. Thanks for pointing that out.

Likes berkeman
Welcome to PF.
Don't feel bad. The answer is only obvious once you know the answer.

If you know what question to ask, you can probably answer it yourself. Your question was almost perfect.

Working alone is difficult because you need a different brain to review your ideas, or to check your own work. That is what we are here for.

Likes fresh_42, berkeman, jrmichler and 2 others

1. What is the purpose of a wheel?

A wheel is a circular object that is used to facilitate movement by rolling. It allows for easier transportation of heavy objects and reduces friction between the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. What is a trans diff?

A trans diff, short for transmission differential, is a mechanical device that allows for the wheels of a vehicle to rotate at different speeds while still receiving power from the engine. This is essential for smooth turns and prevents damage to the drivetrain.

3. How does a torsion bar work?

A torsion bar is a type of suspension system that uses a long metal bar to support the weight of a vehicle and absorb shocks from the road. It works by twisting along its axis as the wheels move up and down, providing a smoother ride for the passengers.

4. What are the advantages of using a torsion bar suspension?

One advantage of using a torsion bar suspension is its simplicity and durability. It is also more compact compared to other suspension systems, making it ideal for smaller vehicles. Additionally, it can be easily adjusted to accommodate different weights and loads.

5. How often should the wheel, trans diff, and torsion bar be checked and maintained?

The frequency of maintenance for these components can vary depending on the vehicle and its usage. However, it is recommended to have them checked and maintained at least once a year or every 12,000 miles to ensure proper functioning and prevent potential issues.