When a journalist uses the term "inflection point" to describe growth

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an "inflection point" in the context of Amazon's growth. While traditionally used to describe a change in a function's concavity, the term is being used colloquially to mean a significant shift or turning point. The speaker acknowledges the frustration of this misuse but ultimately concludes that it is a common occurrence and not worth getting upset over.
swampwiz
I was reading an article about Amazon's growth hitting an "inflection point" where basically the function changed from going more or less linearly (i.e., power = 1) to a more parabolic (i.e., power > 1). It seems to me that this term is being misused since an inflection point really describes the point at which a function changes its concavity from down to up (or vice-versa). Ironically, an inflection point is precisely when the function is going linear (i.e., has a curvature of 0).

Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
I was reading an article about Amazon's growth hitting an "inflection point" where basically the function changed from going more or less linearly (i.e., power = 1) to a more parabolic (i.e., power > 1). It seems to me that this term is being misused since an inflection point really describes the point at which a function changes its concavity from down to up (or vice-versa). Ironically, an inflection point is precisely when the function is going linear (i.e., has a curvature of 0).
You are getting hung up on a technical term being used in a colloquial English language way. That happens a lot and railing against it is useless regardless of how frustrating it can be when you know the correct technical definition.

Here's one that says "business" but it's really used more widely than that.

1571094261732.png

Likes gleem, Haborix, swampwiz and 1 other person
I understand the real (mathematica) meaning of "inflection". Many politicians and journalists have been using the term wrongly when they could have used the simpler term "change direction". Often that was what they wish to convey. However, "inflection" appeared to be fashionable and it sounds more "learned".
Other commonly misused terms are: "10 items or LESS", optics (image), naturally, by definition, "dial (telephone)", tape (record), ....

pcltai said:
Many politicians and journalists have been using the term wrongly ...
Not according to common usage, they haven't. Do you think their usage confuses anyone?

Usage of the term "optics" has taken on a whole new, non-technical, life among politicians and TV news people.

Yeah, "10 or less" is the kind of grammatical atrocity that makes me grit my teeth but seriously awful grammar is totally common today. For example, even news casters on TV have no idea how to use personal pronouns (and I'm not talking about gender related changes to the language, but actual grammatical errors such as "When me and him had our conversation ..."

"Tape" has been used to mean "record" for many decades and like "inflection point" causes zero confusion in the listeners. I can remember using it that way in the 1960's.

"Dial me" for "telephone me" is a usage I haven't heard but perhaps it's a local dialect. British English uses "ring me" for "telephone me" or "call me".

Also, there are local dialects throughout America that sound awful to ears no used to them but perfectly normal to the users. For example, in Ohio (Dublin, a suburb of Columbus) where I worked for a few years I often heard the following kind of construct: when someone wanted, for example, to say that something needed to be fixed, they would say it "needs fixed". Not "it needs fixing" or "it needs to be fixed", just "it needs fixed". That really grated on me at first but I got used to it.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Yeah, "10 or less" is the kind of grammatical atrocity that makes me grit my teeth
Not grammar. Diction. 🤣

Vanadium 50 said:
Not grammar. Diction. 🤣
Throw the ball way up vs throw the ball very high is diction (word choice). Throw the ball highly is grammar. I contend that "10 or less" is grammar (BAD grammar).

1. What is an "inflection point"?

An inflection point is a term used to describe a significant change or turning point in a trend or pattern. In the context of growth, it refers to a moment when the rate of growth shifts from a slower pace to a faster pace or vice versa.

2. How is an inflection point different from a peak or a trough?

An inflection point differs from a peak or a trough in that it marks a change in the direction of a trend, rather than the highest or lowest point of the trend. In other words, an inflection point can occur at any point along a trend, while a peak or trough only occurs at the very top or bottom of a trend.

3. Can an inflection point be predicted?

While it is not always possible to predict an inflection point with certainty, there are certain indicators and data points that can help identify potential inflection points. For example, changes in consumer behavior, market trends, and technological advancements can all provide insights into potential inflection points.

4. How does an inflection point impact growth?

An inflection point can have a significant impact on growth as it marks a change in the rate of growth. Depending on the direction of the inflection point, growth can either accelerate or decelerate. It can also represent a shift in market dynamics, creating new opportunities or challenges for businesses.

5. Are there different types of inflection points?

Yes, there are several different types of inflection points, including positive, negative, and neutral. A positive inflection point represents a shift towards accelerated growth, while a negative inflection point represents a shift towards slower growth. A neutral inflection point indicates a change in direction but without a significant change in the rate of growth.