When and why does an electron emit a photon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of spontaneous emission in quantum mechanics, specifically the emission of a photon by an excited electron. The experts explain that this process is forbidden by conservation of energy for a free electron, but can occur in bound states due to the interaction with the quantized electromagnetic field. The reason for this is due to inherent random fluctuations in the electromagnetic field. The experts also clarify the meaning of energetically favorable and the limitations of knowledge in quantum mechanics. The conversation also briefly touches upon the topic of the school system and its failures.
Daniel Hendriks
Is this known in QFT or is this "spontaneous".

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be a little more specific? An electron that's been excited into a higher orbital might emit a photon to drop back to its unexcited state.

Can you explain "might"? This is what I want to know.

Daniel Hendriks said:
Is this known in QFT or is this "spontaneous".
A free electron emiting a photon is forbidden by conservation of energy.

Likes vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and malawi_glenn
Daniel Hendriks said:
Can you explain "might"? This is what I want to know.
There is a matrix element for that transition which you can compute, and then calculate the decay rate (half life if you will). Note that this can not happen for a free electron, as pointed out in the previous post.

Likes vanhees71 and Daniel Hendriks
So it is on luck? Or maybe it is not known I conclude.

Daniel Hendriks said:
Processes in quantum mechanics are deterministically random. We can compute the probabilities, but we can not predict what will come out in the experiemnt. Compare with radioactivity (have you studied radioactivity in school?)

Likes Demystifier and Daniel Hendriks
Daniel Hendriks said:
We know that the transition will happen, we know the average duration before many of these transitions will occur, we know how much energy will be released, and we know various other facts about the transitions, but if you're asking an underlying 'why' you may be disappointed. I could say that the transition occurs because it is energetically favorable, or that it occurs because the laws of nature allow it, and I'm sure there are various ways of explaining it using quantum mechanical and mathematical details involving fields and charges. Beyond that, you start running into an ever deeper series of 'why' questions that can't be answered and, even if they could, would just result in another 'why' question.

Thanks. What does energetically favorable mean? What is wrong with saying we only know the average and amount of energy, but we don't have a clue what is happening? That's the first thing someone learning this stuff needs to know.

Daniel Hendriks said:
Thanks. What does energetically favorable mean? What is wrong with saying we only know the average and amount of energy, but we don't have a clue what is happening? That's the first thing someone learning this stuff needs to know.
The first thing someone learning this stuff needs to know is the Schrodinger equation.

The Schrödinger equation doesn't describe photons. You need to understand before you start learning something, what you are going to learn and what the limitations are. Thats the whole problem with schools, you start but nobody even the teacher knows anything. That's why the system is failing.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy, Motore and Melbourne Guy
Indeed, unfortunately to understand spontaneous emission, i.e., the transition of an electron in an excited state of an atom to a lower state under emission of a photon, is the most simple example for the necessity to quantize the electromagnetic field in addition to quantizing the description of the electron. The "reason" for the spontaneous emission is that the electron is not only bound to the atomic nucleus via the electromagnetic (Coulomb) interaction (which can be described in the semi-classical approximation with the em. field kept as a classical unquantized field) but also to the quantized em. radiation field. Since the electric and the magnetic field components cannot be determined at once for any state (that's a variety of Heisenberg's uncertain relation) the em. field is fluctuating. Even in the vacuum state of the em. field, i.e., the state, where no photons (radiation) is present, there are fluctuations of the em. field which interact with the excited electron, which triggers it to "spontaneously" go to a lower energy eigenstate and emit a photon. The fluctuations are inherently random, i.e., you cannot predict, when the transition will occur but you can give only probabilities for the rate such a transition occurs.

Likes dextercioby, malawi_glenn and PeroK
Daniel Hendriks said:
Thanks. What does energetically favorable mean?
Energetically favorable means that there is available energy that can be 'liberated' or 'moved' by the electron transitioning between a higher and lower energy level. In contrast, the transition of an electron from its ground state to a higher energy state isn't energetically favorable, as it would require that something add energy to the atom for this transition to happen.

Daniel Hendriks said:
What is wrong with saying we only know the average and amount of energy, but we don't have a clue what is happening?
But we do have a clue as to what is happening, unless you subscribe to the belief that, since physics can't know absolute truths, we can't say we know anything about the universe. Which I would disagree with.

Daniel Hendriks said:
The Schrödinger equation doesn't describe photons.
But it's a first step at understanding the math and models that we use to describe atoms and other quantum-scale systems, including photons.
Daniel Hendriks said:
You need to understand before you start learning something, what you are going to learn and what the limitations are. Thats the whole problem with schools, you start but nobody even the teacher knows anything. That's why the system is failing.

The problems of the school system is an extremely complex topic, with many major causes, but I seriously doubt that the failure to teach the limitations of knowledge is a significant factor.

Likes malawi_glenn, PeroK and vanhees71
Daniel Hendriks said:
Thats the whole problem with schools, you start but nobody even the teacher knows anything.
Are you suggesting that all teachers does not know anything? I mean they don't even know what date and time it is?
That is the most preposterous thing I have read in quite a while.

What has that anything to do with the topic of photon emission from energy transitions of electrons in bound states? It just came up as a pretty random quote.

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50 and vanhees71
Daniel Hendriks said:
The Schrödinger equation doesn't describe photons. You need to understand before you start learning something, what you are going to learn and what the limitations are. Thats the whole problem with schools, you start but nobody even the teacher knows anything. That's why the system is failing.

Thread is closed for Moderation...

Daniel Hendriks said:
This is nonsense. Please check your PMs.

Thread will remain closed.

Last edited:

1. When does an electron emit a photon?

Electrons emit photons when they undergo a change in energy level. This can happen when they absorb energy from an external source, collide with other particles, or when they transition to a lower energy state.

2. Why does an electron emit a photon?

An electron emits a photon because of the principles of quantum mechanics. According to the theory, electrons can only exist in certain energy levels and when they transition between these levels, they emit or absorb energy in the form of photons.

3. How does an electron emit a photon?

Electrons emit photons through a process called spontaneous emission. This occurs when an electron in an excited state spontaneously transitions to a lower energy state, releasing a photon in the process.

4. What happens to an electron after it emits a photon?

After emitting a photon, the electron transitions to a lower energy state. It can then remain in this state or absorb energy from an external source and transition back to a higher energy state, emitting another photon in the process.

5. Can an electron emit multiple photons?

Yes, an electron can emit multiple photons if it undergoes multiple energy level transitions. This can happen in a process called stimulated emission, where an incoming photon causes an already excited electron to emit another photon with the same energy and direction.