When Bubble Sort to sort a list of numbers 7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32

In summary: I seen two different examples of Bubble Sorting and was trying to see which is done correctly. I wanted to just clarify which one I am supposed to use when Bubble Sorting. Am I correct then that its easier to see things on a graph for Bubble Sorting such as having the Original List of numbers with 7 on one line, 12 on another line, 5 on another line, 22 on another line, 13 on another line, and 32on another line, Pass 1, Pass, 2, Pass 3, Pass 4, Pass 5, Pass 6, Comparisons, and Swaps?
Joystar77
Can somebody tell me which example is right when a question that is given to me says to bubble sort a list of numbers 7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32? I found two examples and one was with a graph that included Original List, Pass 1, Pass 2, Pass 3, Pass 4, Pass, 5, and Pass 6, the numbers with 7 on one line, 12 on another line, 5 on another line, 22 on another line, 13 on another line, and 32 on another line which includes Comparisons, and Swaps. The second example was to do the following:

First Pass:

(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Here, algorithm compares the first two elements, and swaps since 7 <12.
(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Swap since 12 > 5.
(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Swap since 5 < 22.
(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Swap since 22 > 13.
(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Now, since these elements are already in order (32 > 13), algorithm does not swap them.

Second Pass and Third Pass is done the same way.

Can someone please tell me which example is correct when bubble sorting the list of numbers?

Technology news on Phys.org
Discrete Mathematics (Bubble Sort to sort the list)

Is it true that the number 32 is definitely in its correct position at the end of the first pass when it comes to the following numbers: 7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32?

Discrete Mathematics Numbers 7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32

How does the number of comparisons required change as the pass number increases?

Re: Discrete Mathematics Numbers 7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32

Joystar1977 said:
Can somebody tell me which example is right when a question that is given to me says to bubble sort a list of numbers 7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32? I found two examples and one was with a graph that included Original List, Pass 1, Pass 2, Pass 3, Pass 4, Pass, 5, and Pass 6, the numbers with 7 on one line, 12 on another line, 5 on another line, 22 on another line, 13 on another line, and 32 on another line which includes Comparisons, and Swaps. The second example was to do the following:

First Pass:

(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Here, algorithm compares the first two elements, and swaps since 7 <12.
(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Swap since 12 > 5.
(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Swap since 5 < 22.
(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Swap since 22 > 13.
(7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32)- Now, since these elements are already in order (32 > 13), algorithm does not swap them.

Second Pass and Third Pass is done the same way.

Can someone please tell me which example is correct when bubble sorting the list of numbers?
I did not understand the description of the graph very well. The second example is incorrect. First, the swaps are not shown: all lines are the same. Second, if the sorting is done in increasing order, then there is no reason to swap 7 and 12: they are already ordered correctly.

The list during the first pass should change as follows. (Compared elements are underlined.)

\begin{array}{rrrrrr} \underline{7} &\underline{12}& 5& 22& 13& 32\\ 7& \underline{12}& \underline{5}& 22& 13& 32\\ 7& 5& \underline{12}& \underline{22}& 13& 32\\ 7& 5& 12& \underline{22}& \underline{13}& 32\\ 7& 5& 12& 13& \underline{22}& \underline{32}\\ 7& 5& 12& 13& 22& 32\end{array}

Joystar1977 said:
Is it true that the number 32 is definitely in its correct position at the end of the first pass when it comes to the following numbers: 7, 12, 5, 22, 13, 32?
Yes, if the sorting is done in increasing order.

Joystar1977 said:
How does the number of comparisons required change as the pass number increases?
In the unoptimized bubble sort, the number of comparisons is the same for all passes. In the optimized sort, the number decreases by 1 from one pass to the next because numbers at the end of the array are in their correct positions. Thus, for an array of $n$ numbers the first pass requires $n-1$ comparisons, the second $n-2$ comparisons, and so on.

Thank you Evgeny.Makarov! I seen two different examples of Bubble Sorting and was trying to see which is done correctly. I wanted to just clarify which one I am supposed to use when Bubble Sorting. Am I correct then that its easier to see things on a graph for Bubble Sorting such as having the Original List of numbers with 7 on one line, 12 on another line, 5 on another line, 22 on another line, 13 on another line, and 32on another line, Pass 1, Pass, 2, Pass 3, Pass 4, Pass 5, Pass 6, Comparisons, and Swaps? Just trying to get a thorough understanding of this.

Joystar1977 said:
Am I correct then that its easier to see things on a graph for Bubble Sorting such as having the Original List of numbers with 7 on one line, 12 on another line, 5 on another line, 22 on another line, 13 on another line, and 32on another line, Pass 1, Pass, 2, Pass 3, Pass 4, Pass 5, Pass 6, Comparisons, and Swaps? Just trying to get a thorough understanding of this.
I am having trouble understanding this description of a graph, so I can't say whether it makes sense. Execution of Bubble sort can be illustrated in many ways. The most natural, I think, is to show the array after each comparison and potential swap. I showed the first pass in this way in my previous post. For another illustration, see Wikipedia. Note that while there are many ways to illustrate the execution of the Bubble sort, the algorithm itself works in a unique, fixed way. It is this way of working that is important, not whether it is illustrated as a graph or as a sequence of lines.

Thanks for the explanation Evgeny.Makarov!

1. What is Bubble Sort?

Bubble Sort is a simple sorting algorithm that repeatedly steps through the list to be sorted, compares each pair of adjacent items and swaps them if they are in the wrong order. This process is repeated until the entire list is sorted.

2. Why is Bubble Sort used to sort a list of numbers?

Bubble Sort is often used for sorting small lists of numbers because it is easy to implement and requires minimal additional memory. It is also efficient in certain cases, such as when the list is already nearly sorted.

3. How does Bubble Sort work to sort a list of numbers?

To sort a list of numbers using Bubble Sort, the algorithm repeatedly compares adjacent numbers and swaps them if they are in the wrong order. This process is repeated until the entire list is sorted, with larger numbers "bubbling" to the end of the list.

4. What is the time complexity of Bubble Sort?

The time complexity of Bubble Sort is O(n^2), meaning that the number of operations required to sort a list of n elements grows exponentially with the size of the list. This makes it inefficient for sorting large lists.

5. Are there any advantages to using Bubble Sort?

One advantage of Bubble Sort is its simplicity, which makes it easy to implement and understand. It also requires minimal additional memory, making it a good choice for sorting small lists. Additionally, in certain cases, such as when the list is already nearly sorted, Bubble Sort can be more efficient than other sorting algorithms.