When calculating Reynolds number, when do I use dynamic/kinetic viscos

In summary, when calculating Reynolds number, you can use either dynamic viscosity or kinematic viscosity depending on which one is more convenient or available. The kinematic viscosity can be calculated from the dynamic viscosity and density, so it can also be used in the calculation.
PhyIsOhSoHard
When calculating Reynolds number, when do I use dynamic viscosity and when do I use kinematic viscosity?

In a pipe with air flowing inside it, what would you use when calculating Reynolds number and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhyIsOhSoHard said:
When calculating Reynolds number, when do I use dynamic viscosity and when do I use kinematic viscosity?

In a pipe with air flowing inside it, what would you use when calculating Reynolds number and why?
The Reynolds number contains the density in the numerator and the dynamic viscosity in the denominator. The kinematic viscosity is equal to the dynamic viscosity divided by the density. So, if you know the dynamic viscosity and the density, you can calculate the kinematic viscosity. So, in practice, you use whichever is more convenient / available.

1. When calculating Reynolds number, do I use dynamic or kinetic viscosity?

The type of viscosity used in the Reynolds number calculation depends on the flow regime. For laminar flow, use dynamic viscosity. For turbulent flow, use kinetic viscosity.

2. How do I determine the flow regime for Reynolds number calculation?

The flow regime can be determined by looking at the Reynolds number value. If it is less than 2300, the flow is laminar. If it is greater than 4000, the flow is turbulent. Values in between may indicate transitional flow.

3. Can I use either dynamic or kinetic viscosity for both laminar and turbulent flow?

No, it is important to use the correct type of viscosity for the corresponding flow regime. Using the wrong viscosity can result in inaccurate calculations and predictions.

4. What are the units for dynamic and kinetic viscosity?

The units for dynamic viscosity are Pascal-seconds (Pa·s) or centipoise (cP). The units for kinetic viscosity are square meters per second (m^2/s) or centistokes (cSt).

5. Is the Reynolds number the only factor in determining flow regime?

No, the Reynolds number is not the only factor. Other factors such as surface roughness and fluid properties can also affect the flow regime. However, the Reynolds number is an important parameter in determining the type of flow.