When can I use the prompt jump approximation?

In summary, the prompt jump approximation is used to calculate the change in reactivity due to prompt neutrons in the immediate aftermath of a transient. This approximation is valid when the precursor concentration does not change and when the reactivity is much smaller than the effective delayed neutron fraction. The prompt jump is mainly used to understand and interpret reactor behavior and is not typically used in calculations.
dRic2
Gold Member
I know that it is only an approximation to get an idea, but at times it works quite well (in class we solved the kinetics equation for a PWR reactor (point-reactor model) with MATLAB and then we plotted the solution along with the prompt jump approximation... It was very good).
But I did not fully understand when you can use it. It seems to me that the main conditions are:
1) very small mean generation time
2) I have a step of reactivity very far from 1$ (much smaller or bigger).

Any other constraints ? (Point-reactor model for kinetics equation must hold in the first place)

Thanks Ric

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
When you derive the prompt jump, the first approximation is that the precursor concentration does not change and you are calculating the change due to prompt neutrons. This is a valid approximation for times immediately after a transient because the prompt neutrons have a much shorter lifetime than the precursors.

The second approximation is that ##\rho \ll \beta## so that the following exponential is negligible.
$$ \exp \left( \frac{\rho-\beta}{\Lambda} t \right) \approx 0$$

Therefore, the equation is valid any time $$\rho \ll \beta$$. The reactivity can be positive or negative, but definitely cannot be greater than beta (i.e. must not be prompt critical or close to prompt critical.)

As an example, if you have a reactivity change of $0.1 and a lifetime of 10-4, the exponential is exp(-58t), which is extremely small.

Your next question is "when can this be used?". The prompt jump approximation is mainly used to help you understand how the reactor operates, and also to interpret the behavior of a reactor. You can see the prompt jump occur when you pull rods in a small reactor, or scram in any reactor (usually large reactors change reactivity too slow to observe the prompt jump). As far as I know, it is not "used" in any calculations, it just helps explain the reactor behavior.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes anorlunda, dRic2 and Astronuc
Thank you very much! Very clear and helpful explanation!

1. When is the prompt jump approximation applicable?

The prompt jump approximation is applicable when the system under study has a large number of states and the transitions between these states occur quickly. It is commonly used in the study of chemical reactions, nuclear reactions, and other complex systems.

2. How accurate is the prompt jump approximation?

The accuracy of the prompt jump approximation depends on the specific system being studied. In some cases, it can provide a good approximation of the behavior of the system, while in others it may not be accurate enough. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the approximation before using it.

3. What are the assumptions of the prompt jump approximation?

The prompt jump approximation assumes that the system under study is in a state of equilibrium, and that the transitions between states occur much faster than any other processes in the system. It also assumes that the system is well-mixed and that the probability of transitioning from one state to another is independent of the current state of the system.

4. Can the prompt jump approximation be used for non-equilibrium systems?

No, the prompt jump approximation is only applicable for systems in equilibrium. For non-equilibrium systems, other methods such as the master equation or Monte Carlo simulations may be more appropriate.

5. How is the prompt jump approximation different from other approximations?

The prompt jump approximation is a simplification of the master equation, which describes the time evolution of a system with a finite number of states. It differs from other approximations in that it assumes that the transitions between states are much faster than any other processes in the system, allowing for a simpler and more efficient analysis.