When can we swap the order of integration vs differentiation?

In summary: Differentiation_of_limits_of_integration_by_finite_differentials In summary, the real scalar function f(x,y) must satisfy the following conditions in order to put it in terms of the integrals: 1) the limits of integration are not functions of x or y; and 2) the two operations of differentiation and integration commute.
pellman
What conditions does the real scalar function f(x,y) (on the particular range of integration) have to satisfy in order to put

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int{f(x,y)dy}=\int{\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x,y)dy}[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
pellman said:
What conditions does the real scalar function f(x,y) (on the particular range of integration) have to satisfy in order to put

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int{f(x,y)dy}=\int{\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x,y)dy}[/tex]

?

That relation holds when the limits of integration are not a function of x or y. If they are, you have to apply the Leibnitz rule. When you do apply the Leibnitz rule to a function of one variable, you end up with one term out of a possible 3 that is exactly what you wrote above. Google leibnitz rule... the other two possible terms (each corresponding to limits of integration) involve taking the derivative of the limits of integration with respect to the variable of integration.

For your problem, there would be more than 3 terms because the integral is a function of 2 variables... to deal with this you would just put brackets around the inner integral and then apply the Leibnitz rule twice, which will surely end up giving you more than 3 terms and second order derivatives.

oops sorry your integral is just a function of one variable.

If the limits of integration are not functions of x, the two operations commute.

I think there are additional cases where the interchange is possible.

I remember Max Rosenlicht's Analysis book has a whole section on

the interchange of limit operations, where he covers precisely your case.

Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me at this point. If you can't find

the book, let me know, I will try to find it myself. I think baby Rudin's book

also included a section on this topic.

7thSon said:
If the limits of integration are not functions of x, the two operations commute.

That makes sense. I was just afraid that it wasn't that simple. thanks.

I wonder, tho--I have not yet looked at the chapters I made ref. to--
if that condition is sufficient, or if it is also necessary. I will look it
up soon, hopefully.

Related to When can we swap the order of integration vs differentiation?

1. Can we always swap the order of integration and differentiation?

No, we cannot always swap the order of integration and differentiation. This is because the order in which these operations are applied can affect the outcome of the calculation.

2. Under what conditions can we swap the order of integration and differentiation?

We can swap the order of integration and differentiation if the function being integrated is continuous and has continuous first and second order derivatives. Additionally, the domain of integration must be a rectangle or a finite interval.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for swapping the order of integration and differentiation?

Yes, there are several rules and guidelines that can help determine when it is appropriate to swap the order of integration and differentiation. These include the Fubini's theorem, the Leibniz integral rule, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. What are the benefits of swapping the order of integration and differentiation?

Swapping the order of integration and differentiation can simplify complex calculations and make them easier to solve. It can also help in finding new and alternative solutions to problems.

5. Can swapping the order of integration and differentiation affect the accuracy of the calculation?

Yes, swapping the order of integration and differentiation can affect the accuracy of the calculation. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and rules before swapping the order to ensure the accuracy of the result.