When do the park brakes need to be applied=f(critical inclined angle)

In summary, the coefficient of static friction is defined at the critical/Maximum inclination angle at which the block "begins" to slide.
marellasunny
The coefficient of static friction is defined at the critical/Maximum inclination angle at which the block "begins" to slide. Hence, for a vehicle on an inclined plane at this critical angle, the braking force at this critical angle is given by:
i.e [tex]F_{braking}=\mu_{static} N[/tex] at [itex]\theta _{max}[/itex]

For anything beyond[itex]i.e >\theta_{max}[/itex] the braking force is given as
[tex]F_{braking}=\mu_{dynamic} N[/tex]

Obviously,at any angle below the critical angle, the vehicle "park brakes" need not be applied because the vehicle will not move.

My question: Will the "park brakes" need to be applied AT the critical angle or BEYOND the critical angle?

Assumption:
Both the front and rear tires are on a the road with same coefficients of friction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as an exact angular measurement in physics. Accordingly, there is no detectable difference between "at the critical angle" and "just beyond the critical angle".

If you want assurance that your car will not roll into the lake, apply the parking brakes.

The brakes (parking or regular) will not prevent the car sliding down the slope.
If the angle of the slope is larger than the critical angle for the given road conditions, the car will slide down even with the brakes on.
Putting the brakes prevents rolling, which will I suppose will start at a much smaller angle.
These formulas are not quite relevant for something rolling on wheels.

Nasu,jbriggs:
Now,the concept of the critical friction angle is more clear.Its the angle at which the object starts to slide down.
Q:Would I be right in stating that the "tire slip" (otherwise called as flex of the rubber) would be maximum just at the point of the critical angle and lessens out once the car starts sliding? <=>because the static friction acts just at the point of the critical angle and dynamic friction acts at angles BEYOND i.e since [itex]\mu_{static}> \mu_{dynamic}[/itex].(Am I right?)

I would respond by saying that the park brakes will need to be applied at the critical angle. This is because at this angle, the coefficient of static friction is no longer sufficient to prevent the vehicle from sliding. Therefore, the park brakes must be applied in order to provide the necessary braking force to keep the vehicle from moving. This is also true for any angle beyond the critical angle, as the coefficient of dynamic friction will also not be enough to prevent the vehicle from sliding. However, at angles below the critical angle, the vehicle will not move and therefore the park brakes are not necessary. It is important to make sure that both the front and rear tires have the same coefficients of friction to ensure that the vehicle is stable and the park brakes are effective.

1. When should the park brakes be applied on a vehicle?

The park brakes should be applied when the vehicle is not in motion and needs to be parked. This can include when the vehicle is parked on a slope or incline, or when the vehicle is being stored for an extended period of time.

2. At what angle should the park brakes be applied on a slope?

The park brakes should be applied at any angle that poses a risk of the vehicle rolling or sliding. This can vary depending on the weight and size of the vehicle, as well as the surface of the slope. It is generally recommended to apply the park brakes at any incline greater than 5 degrees.

3. How do critical inclined angles affect the need for park brake application?

Critical inclined angles, or angles that are steep enough to cause a vehicle to roll or slide, greatly increase the need for park brake application. As the angle increases, the risk of the vehicle moving without proper braking also increases, making it essential to apply the park brakes in these situations.

4. Are there any exceptions to when park brakes should be applied based on inclined angles?

There may be some exceptions to when park brakes should be applied based on inclined angles. For example, some vehicles may have a built-in parking pawl that engages when the vehicle is placed in park, eliminating the need for park brakes in most situations. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and apply park brakes when parking on an incline.

5. How can I determine the critical inclined angle for my specific vehicle?

The critical inclined angle for a specific vehicle can vary and is dependent on factors such as weight, tire grip, and surface conditions. It is best to consult the manufacturer's recommendations for your vehicle or consult with a mechanic for a more precise determination of the critical inclined angle.