When does quantum take over classical?

In summary, the article discusses how the classical and quantum descriptions of a system differ at certain temperatures. The classical description works in the intermediate range where h*f0 is approximately equal to kb*T, but the quantum description is required at higher temperatures.
DrummingAtom
When does quantum "take over" classical?

There's seems to be a lot of information about how relativity "takes over" classical mechanics when certain speeds are reached, like at a certain % of speed of light, etc. I haven't found much information regarding when quantum mechanics takes over for atoms within a system. I have found the Quantum Realm from wikipedia but if I try to google that term produces a whole load of strange websites and I can't decipher what's garbage anymore.

Any advice on where to start looking?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Generally when dealing with particles, though there have been quantum mechanical evidence (wave interference) even with a buckyball ([itex]C_{60}[/itex]) I can't find the paper, but this is the abstract I think: http://www.aip.org/pnu/1999/split/pnu453-2.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Quantum mechanics never "takes over". It's always correct - in principle, one could use QM to calculate the trajectory of a baseball, but of course that's impractical.

Relativity doesn't "take over" either - it's always valid. You need to consider it at progressively lower and lower speeds as you want progressively more and more accuracy in your calculation.

Vanadium 50 said:
Quantum mechanics never "takes over". It's always correct - in principle, one could use QM to calculate the trajectory of a baseball, but of course that's impractical.

Relativity doesn't "take over" either - it's always valid. You need to consider it at progressively lower and lower speeds as you want progressively more and more accuracy in your calculation.

Thanks for the response. I'm confused by this article:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/04/quantum

From article said:
"One of the motivations for our experiment is to investigate a system which is on the border between quantum and classical," Treutlein said.

The article makes it seem like there is a defined line between the classical and quantum. It's pretty obvious that I don't know anything about this topic but I can't find anything online relevant to my question, which is why I'm asking for help to search.

Looking at the article, what the author probably means by 'the border between quantum and classical' is the scale and temperatures where classical physics no longer gives even a semi-accurate description of the situation.

The experiment in question involves forcing a macroscopic object to exhibit quantum irregularities, so the border is where it stops acting classically and starts acting 'quantumy'.

A good example would be some sort of oscillator with a resonance frequency f0 of a few GHz. At high temperatures where h*f<<kb*T (h is Planck's constant and kb Boltzmanns constant): the "population" of the different "levels" in the oscillator (which modes are active, they are not real levels since they overlap) can be described using a Boltzmann distribution. However, if you operate the oscillator at a temperature where h*f0>kb*T you have to use the quantum mechanical description (the Schroedinger equation to get the levels, and the Fermi's Golden Rule for the population).
In the intermediate region where h*f0 is approximately equal to kb*T both descriptions work (and you can also use some funny "hybrids", the SE for the levels and the BD for the populations).

Note that there are quite a few systems where this crossover can be seen experimentally (including mechanical oscillators), so it is not a hypothetical scenario.

Related to When does quantum take over classical?

1. What is the difference between quantum and classical physics?

The main difference between quantum and classical physics is the scale at which they operate. Classical physics explains the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum physics explains the behavior of subatomic particles. Classical physics follows the laws of classical mechanics, while quantum physics follows the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. When does quantum take over classical?

Quantum physics takes over classical physics when objects are observed at a very small scale, such as at the atomic or subatomic level. At this scale, the behavior of particles becomes unpredictable and can only be described using the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How does quantum physics challenge classical physics?

Quantum physics challenges classical physics in several ways. It introduces the concept of uncertainty, where the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously. It also challenges the idea of determinism, where the future behavior of a system can be predicted based on its initial conditions. In quantum physics, the behavior of particles is probabilistic and cannot be predicted with certainty.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has numerous real-world applications, such as in the development of transistors for computers, lasers for medical and industrial use, and cryptography for secure communication. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies such as superconductors, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation.

5. How does the concept of entanglement relate to quantum physics taking over classical physics?

The concept of entanglement, where two particles become connected in a way that their properties are correlated, is a key aspect of quantum physics. It challenges the classical idea of locality, where objects can only influence each other if they are in close proximity. Entanglement also plays a crucial role in quantum computing and communication, demonstrating how quantum physics takes over classical physics when dealing with information and communication at a very small scale.