When it states "in terms of a, b, c" do you need to use all variables?

In summary, the question is asking what "in terms of" means, and the solution provided says that the question setter should use the appropriate variables.
Solweak
Homework Statement
Derive an expression for the maximum displacement possible for the block that will allow the block to still remain at rest. Express your answer in terms of M, k, μk, μs, and physical constants, as appropriate.
Relevant Equations
Spring force with no direction = kx
static friction force = Mgμs
This is a spring problem

From this, it says I need to answer in terms of kinematic friction which to me doesn't make much sense. I also looked at similar questions online to the "in terms of" problems and they don't use all four variables in their derived equation. Do I not need to use all variables in my derived equation when it says in terms of.

My solution:
kx = Mgμs
x = (Mgμs)/k

Physics news on Phys.org
Also something to add that further supports the notation against needing to use all variables, in another college board question they had an answer not use all the terms listed.

Question:
unknown.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer to c ii
unknown.png

source: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/...-guidelines.pdf?course=ap-physics-c-mechanics

The problem statement does say "as appropriate" which I take to mean you should use the ones you need. Even if that phrase weren't included, I don't think you should feel compelled to use all of the variables listed.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Some expressions will involve static friction, some kinetic friction, some may involve both. I don't think the question setter needs to tell you precisely which ones apply in every formula. Sometimes, for example, the mass may not appear in a final equation. It's up to you to work out whether this is the case.

vela said:
The problem statement does say "as appropriate" which I take to mean you should use the ones you need. Even if that phrase weren't included, I don't think you should feel compelled to use all of the variables listed.
Ohh that makes a lot more sense thank you

PeroK said:
I'm not sure I understand your question. Some expressions will involve static friction, some kinetic friction, some may involve both. I don't think the question setter needs to tell you precisely which ones apply in every formula. Sometimes, for example, the mass may not appear in a final equation. It's up to you to work out whether this is the case.
The question was just what "in terms of" meant as I originally thought it strictly meant you had to use all the variables listed. Thank you guys for sorting that out for me.

How come a post like this sits around for over an hour and then two of us respond at virtually the same time?

What does it mean when a problem states "in terms of a, b, c"?

When a problem states "in terms of a, b, c", it means that the solution should be expressed using the variables a, b, and c. These variables represent unknown quantities that need to be solved for.

Do I need to use all three variables a, b, and c in my solution?

No, you do not necessarily need to use all three variables in your solution. It depends on the specific problem and what the question is asking for. However, you should try to use as many of the given variables as possible to obtain a more accurate and complete solution.

Can I use other variables in addition to a, b, and c?

Yes, you can use other variables in addition to a, b, and c if they are necessary for solving the problem. However, make sure to clearly label and define any additional variables you use in your solution.

What if I don't know the values of a, b, and c?

If the values of a, b, and c are not given in the problem, you will need to solve for them using other information or equations provided. This is a common practice in algebraic and scientific problems.

Can I substitute numerical values for a, b, and c in my solution?

Yes, you can substitute numerical values for a, b, and c in your solution if they are provided in the problem. This will help you obtain a specific numerical answer. However, it is important to also keep the variables in your solution to show the relationship between them.