When" logged out" and back to website- log in, my name and PW come up

• Thread starter morrobay
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with logging in to a website. The speaker mentions that the log in screen automatically fills in their password, making it possible for anyone to log in. The cause is identified as the browser storing the password and the solution is to check the browser settings. The speaker also mentions a "Keep Me Logged In" option on the login screen and advises to make sure it is not checked.
morrobay
Gold Member
So I log out , clear screen, return to PF and click on log in .The log in screen comes up with my password ! So anyone could log in here.
Sometimes these "upgrades" cross each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is your local browser filling in these fields. Check the browser settings.

Likes morrobay
Your browser has stored your password and is auto-filling the fields. I use that for most of the sites, except for bank sites. Deleting the password by going to browser settings will no longer fill in the fields.

On the Login screen there is also a Check Box labelled 'Keep Me Logged In', or 'Remember Me', or something to that effect. Make sure the box is cleared.

1. When I log out of a website and then log back in, why does my name and password automatically come up?

This is a feature called "Remember Me" or "Stay Logged In" that is commonly used by websites. It allows you to stay logged in for a certain period of time, usually 30 days, without having to re-enter your login information every time you visit the site. This feature can be turned off in your account settings if you do not want your name and password to automatically appear.

2. Can anyone else access my account if my name and password are automatically filled in when I log in?

If you are using a personal device and have not shared your login information with anyone, it is unlikely that anyone else will be able to access your account. However, if you are using a shared device or a public computer, it is important to log out of your account to prevent others from accessing it.

3. How can I change my login information if it is automatically filled in when I log in?

You can change your login information by going to your account settings and selecting the option to change your password. This will prompt you to enter your current password and then create a new one. It is important to regularly change your login information for security purposes.

4. Is it safe to use the "Remember Me" feature on websites?

The "Remember Me" feature is generally safe to use, as long as you are using a secure and trusted website. However, it is important to keep in mind that if someone gains access to your device, they may also be able to access your account if it is set to automatically log in. It is always a good idea to use strong and unique passwords for your accounts.

5. How do I turn off the "Remember Me" feature on a website?

The process for turning off the "Remember Me" feature may vary depending on the website. However, it is typically found in your account settings or under the login form. Look for an option to disable or turn off the feature. If you are unable to find it, you can contact the website's customer support for assistance.