When n*(n+1)/2 - k is never a square

• Thread starter OlderOwl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a series represented by An = n*(n+1)/2 - k and perfect squares, and how this can be proven using modular arithmetic. It is found that if 8*k+1 includes a prime factor, p, to the ith power where p = +/−3 mod 8 and i is odd, then the series will never include a perfect square. The conversation also explores the possibility of using higher algebra to prove this relationship.
OlderOwl
I found that the series represented by An = n∗(n+1)/2 - k never includes a perfect square if and only if the prime factorization of 8∗k+1 includes a prime factor, p, to the ith power where p = +/−3 mod 8 and i is odd and that this can be proved mod p(i + 1)
For instance, [tex]8* 4 + 1 = 3^1 * 11^1[/tex] so we can prove mod 9 that n*(n+1)/2 - 4 is never a square. The square residues mod 9 are {0,1,4,7} but for n = 0 to 8 the residues of n*(n+1)/2 - 4 mod 9 are {5,6,8,2,6,2,8,6,5} which are not any of the square residues. Thus n*(n+1)/2 - 4 can never be a square for integer n.
I also found that if 8∗k+1 includes a prime factor, p, to the ith power where p = +/−3 mod 8 and i is odd that k * (2*m+1)2+m(m+1)/2 is a k' such that 8k' +1 also contains p to an odd power in the prime factorization. I was wondering if there is any higher algebra that could prove my findings.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you worked out the backward problem?
i.e. given ##8k+1 = p^i m = (\pm 3)^i (8q )^i## then ## A_n = \frac{n(n+1)}{2} - k ## never contains a square using ##\mod p^{i+1}##?

I don't see how you get pim ≡ (±3)im ≡ (±3)i(8q)i since p and m both ≡ (±3) mod 8

Last edited:

What does the equation n*(n+1)/2 - k represent?

The equation n*(n+1)/2 - k represents a mathematical expression that calculates a specific value when given the value of n and k. It is also known as a quadratic equation, where n represents the variable and k represents a constant.

What does it mean for the expression to be a square number?

A square number is a number that can be represented by the product of two equal numbers. For example, 4 is a square number because it can be represented as 2*2. In other words, a square number is the result of multiplying a number by itself.

Why is it important to determine when n*(n+1)/2 - k is never a square?

Determining when n*(n+1)/2 - k is never a square is important because it helps us understand the properties and behaviors of quadratic equations. It also allows us to identify patterns and make predictions about the solutions of similar equations.

What is the relationship between n and k in this equation?

The relationship between n and k in this equation is that n represents the variable and k represents a constant. This means that n can take on different values, while k remains the same. The value of k can affect the outcome of the equation and determine if the result is a square number or not.

Are there any real-life applications of this equation?

Yes, there are real-life applications of this equation, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the maximum height of a projectile, the optimal cost of production, or the interest rate in compound interest calculations.