When should a coastguard cutter start out to intercept a ship?

• Thread starter LondonLady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ships
In summary, the coastguard cutter must start out before the ship passes a point a distance D offshore from the coast. If the cutter starts out after the ship passes the mentioned distance, the coastguard will be unable to intercept the ship.
LondonLady
Hi, I have this question which I am having trouble with

A ship is steaming parallel to a straight coastline, distance D offshore, at speed [tex]v[/tex]. A coastguard cutter, whose speed is u (u<v) seta out from port to intercept the ship. Show that the cutter must start out before the ship passes a point a distance [tex]\displaystyle{D\frac{\sqrt{v^2 - u^2}}{u}}[/tex] back along the coast.

Im looking for a hint of how to go about this.

http://img27.exs.cx/img27/6558/Ships.jpgHeres a picture

Ive tried breaking the u vector into its horizontal and vertical components but that isn't getting me anywhere. Any ideas?

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF LondonLady!

If the cutter starts out after the ship passes the mentioned distance, the coastguard will be unable to intercept the ship. Breaking the velocity components is just one of the steps. What have you done?

Hi, thankyou! :smile:

Em, well first i designated the value of the distance that v starts behind u to be 'x'

So then I broke the u vector into [tex]u\cos \theta i + u\sin \theta j[/tex].

At the time of intersection 't' the two ships will be in the same place so i evaluated the x - y displacement at that time and got...

[tex]vt - x = ut\cos \theta[/tex]

and

[tex]ut\sin \theta = D[/tex]

I eliminated t to get

[tex]\displaystyle{x = \frac{D(u\cos \theta - v)}{u \sin \theta}}[/tex]

My problem is, I don't know if this right, and if it is, how i would go about getting rid of [tex]\theta[/tex]. Maybe I am missing some obvious relation involving [tex]\theta[/tex] :confused:

That's good; now you want x to be a minimum to get that particular point so take the derivative - remember at a minimum the derivitave = 0. A little trigonometry and the angles dissappear.

Hello, thankyou for your reply :smile:

Ahhh!

I started with [tex]\displaystyle{x = D\frac{u\cos \theta - v}{u \sin \theta}}[/tex]

and differentiated. I found that at the minimum of x

[tex]\displaystyle{\cos \theta = \frac{u}{v}}[/tex]

which would mean (after drawing a triangle) that

[tex]\displaystyle{\sin \theta = \frac{\sqrt{v^2 - u^2}}{u}}}[/tex]

When I plug these back in at the top I get

[tex]\displaystyle{x = D\frac{u^2 - v^2}{u\sqrt{v^2 - u^2}}}[/tex]

which is wrong!

What me doing wrong?

I got it!

Thanks all

Related to When should a coastguard cutter start out to intercept a ship?

1. How do you determine the point of intersection between two ships?

The point of intersection between two ships can be determined by using the ships' coordinates and speed. By plotting the coordinates on a graph, you can calculate the time it will take for each ship to reach the point of intersection based on their speed. The point where the two ships intersect is where they will meet.

2. What factors can affect the point of intersection between two ships?

The main factors that can affect the point of intersection between two ships are their speed, direction, and any external forces such as wind or currents. If there are any changes in these factors, it can alter the point of intersection and the time it takes for the ships to reach it.

3. How do you ensure safe navigation when two ships are intersecting?

To ensure safe navigation when two ships are intersecting, proper communication and navigation protocols must be followed. This includes maintaining a safe distance from the other ship, adjusting speed and direction if necessary, and using navigation aids such as radar and GPS to track the other ship's movements.

4. Can two ships intersect at multiple points?

Yes, two ships can intersect at multiple points if their paths are not in a straight line. This can happen if one ship is moving at a constant speed while the other is changing its speed or direction. In this case, the ships may intersect at multiple points before finally meeting at a single point.

5. How do you calculate the collision risk between two intersecting ships?

The collision risk between two intersecting ships can be calculated by using the relative motion concept. This involves calculating the distance between the two ships at different time intervals and determining if they are approaching or moving away from each other. If the distance is decreasing, then there is a higher risk of collision.