When the electric field of the ionization chamber increase...

In summary, the mean number of pairs created in the ionization chamber by radiation is proportional to the energy deposited in the counter, as stated in "Techniques for nuclear and particle physics experiments" by W.R. Leo. This does not take into account the intensity of the electric field, which is a separate consideration for recombination.
MsFrancesca
Hello.
I have a question about the relation between the number of the pair created in the ionization chamber by the radiation and the energy deposited in the counter.

In the text, it is written that "The mean number of pairs created is proportional to the energy deposited in the counter."
"Techniques for nuclear and particle physics experiments - W.R.Leo"

But, I cannot understand this sentence.

Of course, I know that if the intensity of the electric field increase, the collected pairs are increased.
However, it is not the matter concerned with the recombination, right?
Because consideration of the relation between intensity of electric field and recombination is the next thing to think about.
That sentence said about creation of the pair.

Please answer to my question.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Miss Francesca, :welcome:

(Benvenuta?)

" Energy deposited in the ionization chamber " refers to the energy loss of the incident radiative particle. That has nothing to do with the intensity of the electric field.

Likes MsFrancesca
Oh, thank you for your answer.
I got it!
(And, I'm not Italian~)

1. How does increasing the electric field affect the ionization chamber?

Increasing the electric field in an ionization chamber can increase the sensitivity and accuracy of the detection of ionizing radiation. This is because a higher electric field can generate more ion pairs, leading to a stronger signal.

2. What is the purpose of an ionization chamber?

An ionization chamber is a device used to measure the presence and intensity of ionizing radiation. It works by detecting the ionization of gas molecules caused by the radiation, and converting it into an electrical signal that can be measured.

3. Can increasing the electric field cause any negative effects in the ionization chamber?

In some cases, increasing the electric field too much can cause the chamber to become saturated, leading to inaccurate measurements. It is important to carefully calibrate the electric field to ensure optimal performance of the chamber.

4. How is the electric field of an ionization chamber controlled?

The electric field in an ionization chamber is typically controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to the electrodes. The higher the voltage, the stronger the electric field will be.

5. Are there any safety concerns when increasing the electric field in an ionization chamber?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when working with ionization chambers and high voltages. This may include wearing protective gear and ensuring proper grounding of equipment to avoid electric shocks.