When to begin applying for jobs

• Thread starter Mr.Fermion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, a graduate student with a ph.d in experimental condensed matter is looking for options outside academia and is considering a career in finance. They are proficient in programming and have experience with Igor, MatLab, and basic c++. They are wondering when to start applying for financial jobs and seeking advice on how to prepare for a financial career. They are also auditing classes in markov chains and time series. Suggestions given include applying for campus hiring or going through head hunters, focusing on completing their dissertation, and reading books on finance. A resume tip is also provided, emphasizing the relevance of their research experience to GARCH, ARMA, and time series models.
Mr.Fermion
Hi all,

I am a long time reader and first time poster. Basically I am graduate student who is finishing up a ph.d in experimental condensed matter. I have no desire to move forward in academia and I have been looking into other options. The most attractive option to me at the moment is finance, mostly because I think its interesting and also because I enjoy programing,modeling, and analyzing data (which is why I became an experimentalist). Most of my graduate school programing has been done in a program called Igor but I am also proficient in MatLab and know basic c++, i.e I know what classes are how to use them, I know what inheritance and polymorphism is but I have never done any extensive software programming in C++. I have read all the previous post on this subject, but none of them address the question of when to actually begin applying for the job. I will complete my ph.d sometime this fall, I know that other industries typically hire as much as 10 months before graduation but I imagine its less in the financial world since there is so much instability at the moment. Also, if anyone has any comments on what I could do during my spare time to be better prepared for a financial career I'd love to hear them. I have a friend who is also interested in a financial job after graduate school and we have been auditing a class in markov chains (last semester) and are auditing a class on time series this semester. Although the time series class seems like a waste because I basically do time series except I do 2-d spatial correlations and removing spatial periodicity but the techniques are easily applicable to time series. Although it has been interesting learning about ARMA's and GARCH models. Anyhow, I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Ferm

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr.Fermion said:
I will complete my ph.d sometime this fall, I know that other industries typically hire as much as 10 months before graduation but I imagine its less in the financial world since there is so much instability at the moment.

There are two routes. One is campus hiring, and that involves making sure that you get an interview for Superday. The other involves going through head hunters. It wouldn't hurt right now so go to the major websites (www.dice.com www.efinancialcareers.com www.phds.org) and get in touch with the headhunters.

Also, if anyone has any comments on what I could do during my spare time to be better prepared for a financial career I'd love to hear them.

1) your top priority is to get your dissertation out.

2) if you have time, get Hull or Wilmott and read through them. Just remember that 80% of what is in those books is either wrong or irrelevant, but it will let you learn the vocabulary.

Although the time series class seems like a waste because I basically do time series except I do 2-d spatial correlations and removing spatial periodicity but the techniques are easily applicable to time series.

One resume tip is to say something like "my research involves researching spatial correlations which are related to GARCH and ARMA time series models used in algorithmic trading."

The reason for that is that the initial gatekeeper has no technical knowledge, and is just doing a keyword match, so if you can get GARCH, ARMA, and time series in there, you get your resume passed to something that can actually figure out what you did is relevant.

Related to When to begin applying for jobs

1. When is the best time to start applying for jobs?

The best time to start applying for jobs is typically 3-4 months before you plan on starting your new job. This will give you enough time to research and apply for positions and go through the interview process.

2. Should I start applying for jobs while still in school?

It is generally recommended to start applying for jobs while still in school, as this will give you a head start on the job search process. However, make sure to prioritize your studies and only apply for positions that you are qualified and interested in.

3. Is it better to apply for jobs online or in person?

It is a good idea to utilize both online and in-person job application methods. Online applications allow you to apply to multiple positions quickly, while in-person applications can help you make a personal connection with the employer.

4. How many jobs should I apply for at a time?

The number of jobs you should apply for at a time depends on your individual circumstances and the availability of jobs in your desired field. It is generally recommended to apply for a moderate number of jobs (10-20) at a time, to ensure you have a range of options.

5. Is it okay to apply for jobs that I may not be fully qualified for?

It is always worth applying for a job even if you may not meet all of the qualifications. Employers often have a list of preferred qualifications, and if you meet most of them, you may still be considered for the position. Additionally, applying for jobs that may be slightly out of your comfort zone can help you expand your skills and experience.