Where Can I Find Real-Life Nerds Like Me?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
In summary, the speakers are discussing the lack of nerdy individuals in their real lives and their desire to find someone who shares their interests and can challenge their level of nerdiness. They also mention specific qualities they look for in a partner, such as being interested in science and not conforming to traditional gender stereotypes. They suggest hanging out in places with a higher concentration of nerds to increase their chances of finding a suitable partner. The conversation also touches on the societal expectations and stereotypes surrounding relationships and the idea of settling for someone who may not share similar interests.
Obsidian222 said:
Obi wonders how she can get herself from Australia to the Lunch Room at N.A.S.A every day. <.< >.< >.> *sigh*

Easy peasy Obsidian:

http://www.csiro.au/

http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/

Antarctic anyone? can't get any cosier?:smile:

http://www.eoas.info/biogs/A001611b.htm

Science with a political twist:

http://australia.gov.au/topics/science-and-technology/scientific-research

http://www.science.gov.au/

Pap smears for free?

http://www.newcastle.edu.au/research-centre/crs/

One of the key issues is getting into the science zone, somehow, someway, getting your profile out there, among those whom are so desirable to be with/around, they will generally speaking be engrossed in their work, their passion is science of one sort or another, (seriously what's not to love about the sciences?)...but it can become a 24/24 life, you challenge Winston/Winstonette is reach out.

It's all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

And don't underestimate the brilliant abstract drawcard of cyberspace, (picking and choosing sites of course), but any abstract/science-ish site can be a place to meet likemindeds.

It's then up to you.

So that's the answer then, go to one of these sciency meetings, and try and look intelligent, whilst my brain melts!

How many frequent Pap Smear points does it take until you have enough points for the free trip to the NASA lunch room?

Femme_physics said:
I don't get to meet enough nerds, seriously. Where are the Sheldons, the Urkels, or the nerdy people in physicsforums IRL? Where are they in MY real life, anyway? Is this all an illusion and people like that don't actually exist? Because I never get to meet people like that IRL. I even can't relate to my classmates, they only seem to be studying mechanical engineering for cash, not to the greater goal of fathoming science (whereas I do).

So, I always find MYSELF to be the biggest nerd around! I want someone who can challenge my nerdiness, and I shall challenge his. How is it possible that all my Monkey Island/Hitchhiker's Guide references are only getting me a blank stare?

I agree. The only other semi-nerd I know is my friend in my class Andrew. Otherwise I make jokes about math or physics (Like a funny Schrodinger's cat one) and no one, not even my semi-nerd friend laughs...I wish I knew someone who lived near me that was a good ol' science nerd, to joke with and contemplate the universe and things a normal person would hear and think I'm a nonsensical crazy dude talking about photons, which they think are sci-fi nonsense crazy things! *Breaths deeply in exhaust and anger*

Anyway, I agree... *sighs* (BTW HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy is awesome)

So, who here laughs at "Let [itex]\varepsilon < 0 [/itex]"?

Obsidian222 said:
So that's the answer then, go to one of these sciency meetings, and try and look intelligent, whilst my brain melts!

What a way to go tho'!

Brain stimulus and all those sexy nerds around you.

Zryn said:
How many frequent Pap Smear points does it take until you have enough points for the free trip to the NASA lunch room?

That can depend, if you link it purchases of feminine hygiene products and birth control it may run up quicker.

Alternatively ...what is their alternatively?

Thinking...

jhae2.718 said:
so, who here laughs at "let [itex]\varepsilon < 0 [/itex]"?

?

you have math in your brains.
You have waves all around.
And soon you will find
that oscillations abound.
You’re not on you own if you know what i know.
But you are the one who’ll learn how these waves go.

Waves go up and down sine curves, so graph them with care
though sometimes equations make life less hard to bear...

***(78)----3333$$$

Steppn said:
What a way to go tho'!

Brain stimulus and all those sexy nerds around you.

*sigh* Ahhh yes, a ME paradise..

Lazernugget said:
I agree. The only other semi-nerd I know is my friend in my class Andrew. Otherwise I make jokes about math or physics (Like a funny Schrodinger's cat one) and no one, not even my semi-nerd friend laughs...I wish I knew someone who lived near me that was a good ol' science nerd, to joke with and contemplate the universe and things a normal person would hear and think I'm a nonsensical crazy dude talking about photons, which they think are sci-fi nonsense crazy things! *Breaths deeply in exhaust and anger*

Anyway, I agree... *sighs* (BTW HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy is awesome)

Where are you from, Lazernugget?

I just wanted to make another post to gently encourage the people here to pursue their dream of meeting 'nerds'. It may seem challenging, there may not be many around, (seemingly), they maybe reserved to interact with at times, but do it anyway.

There is a a communication level that some people have along an 'abstract' framework, there are many people that like to communicate in a 'concrete' type of framework...to meet and be with, discuss, with likeminded people/communicators is a good start.

Those that enjoy discussing theory, ideas, concepts, science-ish 'stuff'-are out there. They are amazing, intelligent, open minded, funny, sexy...life is way too short not to pursue the things you have an interest for/in.

It will be challenging and may take a while to meet these people but (my experience) it's worth it. It's like coming home to your own planet.

Just remember they tend to flock together, their personalities can be complex, (some) can be reserved in nature too.

But have fun with it. What has anyone to lose really...give it your best.

Does your University have any societies?

Join astronomy or gaming? You should run into people in wider branches of physics, they do tend to be 90% men, at least in my experience.

Femme_physics said:
Where are you from, Lazernugget?

The Santa Cruz Area... (California) We were hit by mini Tsunamis...recently...on the news...

BTW, an elements joke for you all.

2 Scientists walk into a bar. One says "I'll have some H2O" The other says "I'll have some H2O too" But the bar tender hands him H2O2, so that scientist dies. THE END

And the sexy nerd thinks;

"I have no system for understanding this messy person in front of me"!

Lazernugget said:
2 Scientists walk into a bar. One says "I'll have some H2O" The other says "I'll have some H2O too" But the bar tender hands him H2O2, so that scientist dies. THE END

ROFL! Wow!

Johnny was a chemist, but Johnny is no more; for what he thought was H2O was H2SO4!

Steppn said:
Female 'nerds' do not gather together quite as much.
We try, we really do. The assignment for my next women in tech meetup is to bring a friend and I went to my LUG (linux users group) today and there were two other girls (though my local LUG also suffers from a serious lack of people under 30).

If you want women, sneak into your local chemE department. It's traditionally/statistically the engr. with the best rate of female participation (women may even be the majority in many places).

I just wanted to make another post to gently encourage the people here to pursue their dream of meeting 'nerds'.
Just try not to objectify the women in the process 'cause seriously the biggest rant I here from any (and have about being a) female nerd is the "ooh, she's female-shiny!" attitude.

story645 said:
If you want women, sneak into your local chemE department. It's traditionally/statistically the engr. with the best rate of female participation (women may even be the majority in many places).
Not surprised at that; at least half the chemE's I know are female. Too bad my school doesn't have any engineering :(

Just try not to objectify the women in the process 'cause seriously the biggest rant I here from any (and have about being a) female nerd is the "ooh, she's female-shiny!" attitude.

I think I have a clue what you mean, but can you elaborate on what you mean by "she's female-shiny" attitude?

I think Steppn was talking about male nerds.

As far as societies, I'm not sure if there are in my college. I'll look.

PS funny jokes :D

Apologies if I have posted and sounded as to 'objectify women'-I was referring to males, (and I don't want to be objectifying males either for that matter).

My point of posting was the relative low representation of 'science' or 'nerd' types in society, and the challenges faced developing social connections with them, possibly leading to relationship.

I had hoped to offer encouragement to Obsidian to pursue the challenge. I myself, (am female btw), have a relationship with a scientist and the happiness, the intellectual compatibility, just the appreciation of him 'for whom and what he is/does' is amazing. The communication shared is important, the interests shared, the understanding of the reservedness, so no, not objectifying people, but pursue the opportunity if you can.

All the best.

Steppn said:
Apologies if I have posted and sounded as to 'objectify women'-I was referring to males
Your post was just the jumping off point, it seriously had nothing in it that read "go stalk female nerds now" or the like. Sorry that it seemed that I took it that way.

I was trying to make the general point that if you're going to go into geek space, don't treat it like a field trip (and yeah, I'll extend that to men too) in part 'cause in my LUG yesterday a hot girl walked in and the guys started jumping on her like flies and it was beyond off-putting. It sometimes feels like the only way to get taken seriously is to out geek the guys.

I myself, (am female btw), have a relationship with a scientist and the happiness, the intellectual compatibility, just the appreciation of him 'for whom and what he is/does' is amazing.
It's actually a huge trend in male dominated fields for women to be partnered with someone else in the field. The military is a classic example, but when I went to a women in CS theory conference I saw the same thing. Most of the women there were partnered with fellow CS nerds and a good chunk were in the same research group as their SOs.

But it's easy for you CS people to find an .so! :biggrin:

jhae2.718 said:

I only laughed the first 10 times. :biggrin:

jhae2.718 said:

XD Lol... too funny! :smile:

I don't find the fact that Let epsilon is less than 0 funny at all. Is there something wrong with me?

I was trying to make the general point that if you're going to go into geek space, don't treat it like a field trip (and yeah, I'll extend that to men too) in part 'cause in my LUG yesterday a hot girl walked in and the guys started jumping on her like flies and it was beyond off-putting. It sometimes feels like the only way to get taken seriously is to out geek the guys.

Just out of curiosity, why is this bad? It doesn't seem like they're necessarily "objectifying" the girl, but when you see a good looking girl who is also potentially interesting and intelligent, you are going to be interested. Moreover, good on them for "jumping on her", how are they supposed to potentially get in a relationship with her or get to know her if they don't talk to her?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was necessarily good either. I wasn't there, so I don't know how it went down "It's not what you say, it's how you say it", so these guys could've "jumped on her" in the wrong way, I just doing see that in it self as being bad.

It also depends on the age range we're talking here, because "objectifying" women, is going to happen at least when you're young. We wan't sex, you can't love each girl for her personality, some of them are sexual objects to you. That isn't to say they all are, that isn't to say that's what women are, or even that you think the person your sleeping with is inferior, simply that for you they were there for your sexual satisfaction that night and you may not have talked to them otherwise.

If anything, or atleast for me, you would be less likely to "objectify" the smart girl, because if you are just looking for sex, it doesn't matter if they're smart, however if you're looking for companionship, personality is a big thing.

If anything I'm saying is controversial, people aren't acknowledging the facts. You walk down the street, you see a hot girl, you may know that she's not your "type" or she's dumb as a bag of rocks. Doesn't stop you from wanting to bang her. So if you have the fortitude, you talk to her and try to get laid. It's Machiavellian, it's Politrikin. The interesting question is why do we have to go through some weird social game in order to get laid? An odd modern mating ritual. Where do we draw the line? Your Politrikin and being Machiavellian a lot in your social lives, sexual or otherwise.

You say "it seems the only way to be taken seriously is to out geek the guys". I don't know how other guys are, I take a girl seriously whether she is a geek or not. That is to say, a girl doesn't have to be a geek to be taken seriously, that's just more providential stupid BS. A girl doesn't have to be "nerdy" to be taken seriously, there is more to life then nerdiness. For me, she only has to be taken seriously if she is a person interested in something "meaningful". What the statement could also be is "It seems the only way to get taken seriously by women is to out-objectify the other guys". Sad, but true.

But again. It's all relative to your goal. If your goal is to get laid and soley to get laid, you will just play the game for your piece of the pie. If your goal is to get in a relationship, then you better come up with somethin better than your standard bag of "tricks", because nobodys connectin to a bag of tricks. (Well, surprisingly a lot of people build relationshjips off bags of tricks, but usually to their demise)

Girls want sex and guys want sex and the guys who don't "objectify" or "play the game" and "fake the funk, to stake the trunk" don't usually get laid. This leads to less know-how in getting laid, less experience, less potential confidence and then less desirability to girls. Girls are as much to blame for their own "objectification" as men are.
None of this is universal. And you may not objectify women and still find a good one to get in a relationship with, but again that's because getting laid and gettin in a relationship are two different goals.

I agree with the above. Sometimes it's nice to be objectified.

Once it's respectful :-p

JDStupi said:
Just out of curiosity, why is this bad?
Because when she's new to the group, it has the potential to scare her away, which is basically what happened to friend of mine when she came with me. This one poor girl becomes the main object of focus/has the spot-light on her and she's already a minority in the group, and making her standout more can make her uncomfortable. It ends up very much playing into the dynamics of female participation in STEM fields.

Moreover, good on them for "jumping on her", how are they supposed to potentially get in a relationship with her or get to know her if they don't talk to her?
*shrugs* It's not going to win many points if she thinks the only reason you're talking to her is to hit on her (at least this is my other friends experience with the guys in her engineering program).

Damn, even I think I'm coming across as a jealous brat when I really just want more girls to stick around and don't think stuff like this helps.

Being the only girl in class, I like the objectification. They keep it tasteful. I don't mind being called "sweety" "babe" etc... they make me feel very comfortable, in general, and they see that I love the field of engineering a lot and I even help those who struggle (although I'm sometimes aware of the "I'll figure it out on my own, I'm a man" attitude). I think girls are missing out on the fun when they take the usual females fields of design, biology or whatever. I can't imagine going to class and not feeling super-special! Actually, I did in the past, it sucked :(

Although I'm not in the field I am because of the ratio, I'm just lucked-out the field I love has this ratio. :)

Guys rule, girls suck. No pun intended... :P

Femme_physics said:
Being the only girl in class, I like the objectification./QUOTE]
I get you, hell I tell girls all the time that they have no excuse for not getting recommendations 'cause they automatically stand out and I play up the girl thing sometimes by making jokes about how I can get away with anything 'cause I'm so adorable/cute/etc.

I dunno, gah, hate I seem to have hijacked this thread into the pros/cons of treating girls as "different" in a STEM context. It's hard 'cause on the one hand the objectification is useful, on the other you end with people thinking you're getting special treatment for being female and that hurts cred a lot. When this topic came up at school meetings, women consistently complained about Prof's who were easier on females 'cause it's more troublesome than anything else.

I definitely feel I get preferential treatment from the professors...they're just always staying late to explain me stuff over and over, make sure I got all the stuff in my usb drive, and a few of them even told me "it's nice to have a girl in the class since there are so few if any in these studies"... can't say I'm not enjoying this. ^^ It's the best. Still can't believe girls are missing out on that. It's so much fun.

I guess the biggest downside is that employers in the field of mechanical engineers/mechatronics tend to want guys, tough guys, since there may be some rough work involved and the automatic impression of women is not "hard worker" but rather "someone who'll cry and whine that she'd break a nail during work"... whereas guys would give it their all to their cool and manly engineering profession. One guy in 2nd year of mechatronics studies even rudely told me "what'd you do with this degree?" I argued that a lot of women are into robotics, esp. in the US. The fact it's uncommon in Israel is a shame. It's a diverse field, but the job market in general favors men, and the ratio shows that. (at least in Israel - a tough military-culture country)

With respect to others knowing about my preferential treatment...meh, who cares, probably, but so far they haven't expressed it. My best friends/classmate did once joke around that I suck up to the teacher a lot and joked that's how I got A+. I don't mind the hijack, it's an interesting topic... but whatever ppl want to talk about :)

I've never once felt to be treated any differently in lectures than my classmates. Though Ireland I doubt would be known as a tough military country.

Not so much in the lectures themselves either, but more after class and during intermissions. Maybe it's because of my curious nature and less because I'm a girl...dunno. The flirty nature definitely helps.

I've always wondered why there are so few women in the technical sciences.
Where are all the female nerds?
Does anyone know?