Where can I buy a muon detector?

In summary, Tom Coan at SMU has a company that sells muon detectors. If you want a detector that is specific to muons, you will need to spend around $5,000.
Richardfossilman
TL;DR Summary
Build a muon detector
Hi,
Can you please help find where I can buy a muon detector, or someone who will build a muon detector for me? Nothing fancy just a detector that flashes and beeps when a muon is detected. I do not have the skill or knowledge to accomplish this task. Any help with this endeavor would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Richard

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, thank you, but I have sent e-mails there many times with no response.

Tom Coan at SMU has a company that sells them. He can point you to where you could buy one. Expect it to be several thousand dollars.

Likes vanhees71 and Astronuc
Thank you very much, and an e-mail has been sent----

Vanadium 50 said:
Tom Coan at SMU has a company that sells them. He can point you to where you could buy one. Expect it to be several thousand dollars.
It's a good thing you get the muons for free!

• Haha
Likes artis, Vanadium 50, vanhees71 and 3 others
Yes, no doubt but tough to find a detector.

If it doesn't have to be specific then every Geiger counter will work. But it doesn't tell you if the detected event was from a muon or (much more frequent) a radioactive decay.

Likes vanhees71
mfb said:
If it doesn't have to be specific then every Geiger counter will work. But it doesn't tell you if the detected event was from a muon or (much more frequent) a radioactive decay.
Since he already has a Geiger counter, is there anything he can add to make it more muon specific in its detections?

Likes vanhees71
Keep it away from all other objects as good as possible. Use it on a higher floor or outside to minimize the impact of radon and its decay products. It will increase the fraction, but it won't make it high. The radioactivity of the Geiger counter is still there and cannot be avoided.
Two Geiger counters could be used for a minimalistic coincidence setup.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Motore, PeroK and 1 other person
I understand a Geiger picks up muons, but there is no way to differentiate between regular background and muons. Hence why I would love to get a muon detector. Thank you---

Can a modified Geiger counter work well enough? I would guess two things need to be altered, the gain of the tube probably needs to be decreased to avoid less energetic particles to cause a discharge and possibly some shielding to further minimize lower energy and mass particles from interacting? This should leave only the high energy particles to cause a interaction within the tube?

In the two detector case I read that one puts a lead sheet between them so that whenever both tubes have a simultaneous interaction it can only be due to a high energy particle capable of striking both the primary tube then passing through the sheet and striking the secondary.

The Cosmicwatch uses a SiPM chip which is rather expensive in low quantity (~90 EUR), and requires SMD soldering. I see Geiger tubes go for about $15 from Ebay or similar, and saw a design using three along with some 74HC's for pulse shaping and coincidence detection (top and center or bottom and center). Definitely more DIY friendly. But not a ready product.

1. What is a muon detector?

A muon detector is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure muons, which are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons but with a much greater mass.

2. Why would I need a muon detector?

Muon detectors are commonly used in various scientific experiments and studies, such as in particle physics, geology, and atmospheric research. They can also be used for educational purposes to demonstrate the properties of muons.

3. Where can I buy a muon detector?

Muon detectors can be purchased from various scientific equipment suppliers, such as Physics Enterprises and QuarkNet. They can also be found on online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay.

4. How much does a muon detector cost?

The cost of a muon detector can vary depending on the brand, model, and features. On average, a basic muon detector can cost anywhere from $100 to $500, while more advanced models can cost upwards of $1000.

5. Are there any DIY options for building a muon detector?

Yes, there are DIY options for building a muon detector using simple materials and components. However, these detectors may not be as sensitive or accurate as commercially available ones. Instructions for building a DIY muon detector can be found online.