Where can I find a digital counter for turns?

In summary, the person is looking for a counter for their winding machine that can count turns and subtract backwards. They have found that most results are expensive and bulky, but they are willing to spend up to $50. They have been suggested to use a second hand odometer counter from a car, remove the worm reduction and drive the end counter directly, or use a trip counter that can be reset to zero. They have also been advised to consider using optical position encoders or modifying a calculator or cassette tape counter.
kolleamm
I have a winding machine that needs a counter to count it's turns, subtract backwards also. I did a search but most results were fairly expensive and bulky.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
fairly expensive
How large a number is "fairly?"

Bystander said:
How large a number is "fairly?"
The machines are from $50 and up. Money isn't a huge problem it's just the size.

Why not use a second hand odometer counter out of a scrap car instrument panel.
Remove the worm reduction and drive the end counter directly.
If you use a trip counter you will be able to reset it to zero.

Likes kolleamm
Optical position encoders are very cheap and so is the driving circuitry (if you are hand with a soldering iron).

Likes kolleamm
Thank you for the suggestions everyone, I will try out your ideas.

1. Where can I find a digital counter for turns?

There are many online retailers and electronics stores that sell digital counters for turns. You can also search for them on popular e-commerce websites like Amazon or eBay.

2. How much does a digital counter for turns cost?

The price of a digital counter for turns can vary depending on the features and quality of the product. Generally, they can range from $10 to $50.

3. What are the different types of digital counters for turns available?

There are various types of digital counters for turns, including manual counters, electronic counters, and mechanical counters. Some are also designed for specific purposes, such as event counters or production counters.

4. Can I use a smartphone app as a digital counter for turns?

Yes, there are many apps available for both iOS and Android devices that can function as a digital counter for turns. However, they may not be as accurate or durable as a physical counter.

5. How do I reset a digital counter for turns?

The method for resetting a digital counter for turns may vary depending on the type and model. However, most counters have a reset button or a function that allows you to clear the count and start over.