How to know the duty-cycle of a counter

In summary: No problem. Good luck with the rest of the course.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit of a counter with a clock signal of 84 kHz. The counter counts down and has 6 transitions between states represented in binary. The frequency of the signal labeled 2 is calculated to be 14 kHz, and the duty-cycle is determined to be 33%.
Granger

Homework Statement

Consider the following circuit of a counter with a clock signal of 84 kHz
circuit.png

As we can see the counter counts down. Show all the states and transitions of this counter and identify all the states using a binary representation. Calculate the frequency and the duty-cycle of the signal labeled 2

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

So I didn't have any trouble with the first part of the problem, The states should be 1100 - 1011 - 1010 - 1001 - 1000 - 0111 and it repeats (so a total of 6 transitions).
Now the second part is the one that I'm not sure if I'm thinking correctly because this question never appeared to me.

My attempt to calculate the frequency. If I have 6 transitions all I have to do is to divide the clock frequency by the number of transitions (because If I had the period I would multiply it by the number of transitions). Anyway, I did it and obtained 14 kHz. Now the duty-cycle... I know what a duty-cycle. It's the percentage in the clock transition where the signal is high right? So it should be 1/6 = 17%...

I have no idea if I'm doing this correctly... I have a good feeling about the frequency but have no idea about the duty-cycle. Can someone give me some help? Thanks!

EDIT: The sequence is now correct

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm a bit rusty but I'm struggling to understand this bit..

Granger said:
So I didn't have any trouble with the first part of the problem, The states should be 1100 - 1011 - 1010 - 1001 - 1000 - 0001 and it repeats

Shouldn't the sequence go..
then repeat?

As for the duty cycle.. Try plotting the wave forms for the clock and node 2 on squared paper or similar.

CWatters said:
Perhaps I'm a bit rusty but I'm struggling to understand this bit..
Shouldn't the sequence go..
then repeat?

As for the duty cycle.. Try plotting the wave forms for the clock and node 2 on squared paper or similar.

Yes, sorry I misread the last one.

Is the frequency correct?

Also for the duty cycle, I'm not getting it I'm sorry, can you be more explicit please?

Yes the frequency is 14KHz.

Granger said:
Also for the duty cycle, I'm not getting it I'm sorry, can you be more explicit please?

Well start by drawing the clock waveform. Then below it draw the waveform for the 4 outputs of the counter. On the first clock edge assume it's loaded with 1100. Then on the next clock edge they become 1011 etc

I would continue plotting for a bit more than one repeat (eg draw the wave forms for 8 to 10 clock cycles.

PS I haven't actually checked that the counter is counting down.

Thanks. So I did what you told me and obtained (naming the signal Q3Q2Q1Q0)

Q0: 010101 010101 010101 010101 010101...
Q1: 011001 011001 011001 011001 011001...
Q2: 100001 100001 100001 100001 100001...
Q3: 111110 111110 111110 111110 111110...
Now the duty-cycle should be 2/6 = 33%? Because for each signal cycle we have 2 ones and 4 zeros...

Last edited:
Yes that's what I make it.

Likes Granger
Nice! Thank you very much for the help!

What is a duty-cycle and why is it important to know?

A duty-cycle is the ratio of the active or "on" time of a signal to the total period of the signal. It is important to know because it gives information about the average power consumption and the reliability of a counter or electronic device.

How can I determine the duty-cycle of a counter?

The duty-cycle of a counter can be determined by measuring the time the signal is "on" and dividing it by the total period of the signal. This can be done using an oscilloscope or a frequency counter.

What factors can affect the duty-cycle of a counter?

The duty-cycle of a counter can be affected by various factors such as the input voltage, the load on the counter, and the accuracy of the counter's internal clock.

Can the duty-cycle of a counter be adjusted?

Yes, the duty-cycle of a counter can be adjusted by changing the input voltage, adjusting the load on the counter, or by using external circuitry such as a pulse width modulator.

Why is it important to periodically check the duty-cycle of a counter?

It is important to periodically check the duty-cycle of a counter to ensure that it is functioning properly and to identify any potential issues that may arise. Changes in the duty-cycle can indicate changes in the counter's performance or conditions that may lead to malfunction.