Where Can I Find a PhD in Quantum Computing with Active Research Groups?

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to pursue a PhD in Quantum Computing and the search for universities with prominent research groups in this field. The University of Waterloo in Canada is mentioned as having a well-established quantum computing department, but it is noted that the term "Quantum Computing" covers many different areas and the specific focus may vary depending on the type of qubits being studied. It is also mentioned that most research in Quantum Computing is done by theorists with backgrounds in computer science or mathematics.
QuantumC
I want to do a PhD in Quantum Computing. Which universities in English-speaking countries have prominent research groups in this field?

Most universities I checked have a Quantum Information group, and they usually mention the term "Quantum Computing" somewhere on their website, but it's not very clear how much research is actually done in Quantum Computing.

I would like to study at an institution where there are at least 2-3 potential supervisors who perform active research in Quantum Computing and are willing to take new students. (I plan to begin my PhD in the 2015/2016 academic year.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "Quantum computing" covers many different areas of physics, simply because there are so many different types of qubits. Hence, a PhD for someone working on ion traps would be very different from someone working on say superconducting qubits; but they would both be working on systems that could potentially be used for quantum computing in the future.

The only people that work on QC as such as theorists, simply because they do not have to worry about implementation. The ones that I come across that do that type of work mainly have a computer science or math background and they not neccesarily interact with physicists that often.

1. What is a PhD in Quantum Computing?

A PhD in Quantum Computing is an advanced degree in which students study the principles of quantum mechanics and apply them to the field of computing. This includes topics such as quantum algorithms, quantum information theory, and quantum hardware design.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a PhD in Quantum Computing?

There are many career opportunities for someone with a PhD in Quantum Computing, including research positions in academia and industry, as well as roles in technology development, data security, and consulting. Many large tech companies, such as Google, IBM, and Microsoft, also have dedicated quantum computing research teams.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Quantum Computing?

The length of a PhD program in Quantum Computing can vary, but it typically takes around 4-5 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation.

4. What are the prerequisites for a PhD in Quantum Computing?

To be eligible for a PhD program in Quantum Computing, most universities require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and physics. It is also helpful to have experience in programming and familiarity with quantum mechanics concepts.

5. What skills will I gain from a PhD in Quantum Computing?

In addition to gaining a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications in computing, a PhD in Quantum Computing also equips students with advanced problem-solving, critical thinking, and research skills. Graduates also develop strong programming abilities and are well-versed in the latest technologies and developments in the field.