Where Can I Find a Thermo Resistor Safety Switch for My DIY Lamp?

In summary, the person is looking for a device that will turn off their lamp when it gets too hot, and they are considering a thermal cutoff switch, a thermostat, or a relay.
Salvador
Good day , could someone please point me to a device that would have say two wire terminals and could interrupt the flow of current between them when a dangerous temperature is reached?

the idea is simple , I built a lamp and I need some failsafe mechanism that would turn the lamp off when it gets too hot.the lamp is powered by a ordinary PC power supply.So normally I just connect the green wire to any of the black ones (ground) and the psu starts to work and the lamp shines, I would like to have thios switch attached to the lamp surface and connected to those green and black wires so that when the temp is high enough the current would be interrupted and the psu would shut down.

I have seen such devices in car amplifiers were they are attached to the aluminum heatsink and work as a fail safe so that when the temp on the heatsink gets too high the amp shuts down.

I hope you understood my quest , would be glad if someone could point me to some possible devices to use, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A thermal cutoff is what you're looking for
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_cutoff

They come in a range of current and temps. All electronics suppliers will have them, some for just a few cents each.

You should re think your design. A lamp should not need a thermal cut out.

Well, you could use some NTC-resistor + opamp + transistor.

But what about a bimetal switch?

China_bimetal_thermal_switch_for_heater_and_motor20125292039182.jpg

I don't know if the lamp must be kept switched off, when switced off, but you can make this function by means of a relay.

well ideally it would have to work like this, if the temp in the room gets too high and the lamp has the potential to overheat the switch shuts it down but only for as long as the lamp is too hot , once the temp goes below the threshold level it should kick back again.
much like the portection of a car audio amp once the aluminum radiator is too hot it shuts down then after it cools off it kicks back in.

Hello Sal - Really 2 and 3 are the same thing - there are cutoff switches in both NO and NC, that can handle a typical lamp load - you want a NC type and need to determin the temp you want to turn the Lamp off at, and then the voltage and current of the lamp. LINK

well the temp would be around 100 degrees celsius , but i don't intend the swith to cut off the current to the lamp rather just the current that passes in the green to black wire from a pc psu. my lamp is powered from a pc psu so i can shut it down disconnecting the green wire from the Earth of the psu, I search for such a device.
Also I don't need a thermo fuse like in transformers which when blows has to be changed but rather a switch like in amplifiers which disconnectes when too hot and then after the temp has decreased kicks back in.
I will try to look up something myself but if you have some links handy feel free to post them , thank you.

Last edited:
A thermostat sounds like what you want.
They come in different kinds, the simplest being based on a simple bimetalic strip are very cheap.
They are used routinely for applications such as controlling electric oven temperature, water heaters and so on.

Googling 'thermostat' gave me hundreds of leads to various devices and several dozens of potential suppliers
(You might even be able to get a useable one out of old electrical junk if there is a dump for that kind of thing near you).

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to protect?
Thermal cut outs aren't used in lamps, there is no need.

there is if you have little more than 100 pieces of 2watt LED's mounted on a aluminum plate.

Perhaps instead of a power cutoff when thing get overheated, you could add a simple cooling system to the aluminium plate so that it doesn't overheat ?
Just some heat radiating fins might be enough, if not you could add a small fan as well.

I already have active cooling with the help of 3 pc fans. I want the thermo switch simply for failsafe safety reasons.

1. What is a thermo resistor safety switch?

A thermo resistor safety switch is a type of temperature sensor that is designed to detect and respond to changes in temperature. It is typically used in industries where high temperatures can pose a safety hazard, such as in industrial furnaces or heating systems.

2. How does a thermo resistor safety switch work?

A thermo resistor safety switch works by measuring the resistance of a thermistor, which is a type of temperature-sensitive resistor. As the temperature changes, the resistance of the thermistor also changes. This change in resistance is used to trigger the safety switch, which can then shut off power to the system or trigger an alarm.

3. What are the benefits of using a thermo resistor safety switch?

There are several benefits to using a thermo resistor safety switch. Firstly, it helps to prevent equipment from overheating and causing damage or creating a safety hazard. It can also help to save energy by shutting off systems when they are not needed. Additionally, thermo resistor safety switches are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

4. Are thermo resistor safety switches reliable?

Yes, thermo resistor safety switches are generally considered to be reliable. They are designed to withstand high temperatures and can operate in harsh environments. However, like any electronic device, they may require periodic maintenance or replacement to ensure they continue to function properly.

5. Can I install a thermo resistor safety switch myself?

It is recommended to have a trained professional install a thermo resistor safety switch. They will have the necessary knowledge and experience to properly install and calibrate the switch to ensure it functions correctly. It is important to follow all safety protocols and manufacturer instructions when installing any type of safety equipment.