Where Can I Find Help with Trig Differentiation, Limits, and Identities?

• Thread starter Mspike6
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!In summary, Mark44 says that you need to use different fundamental identities to differentiate sin(2x) and 2sinxcosx. He also says that using L'Hôpital's rule is unnecessary.
Mspike6
Hey guys..
first, i want to ask if anyone know a good tutorial or website that can help me with the Treg. deffrentiation, and limits...cause am troubles with that :(
I got some questions..

1)

Prove the Identity Tanx+1/Tanx-1 = Secx-cscx

I have no clue how to prove sucha a thing..

2)Evaluate Limx-> Pi/41-Tanx/Sinx-Cosx

I tried to find any identity to change it's form, but i couldn;t figure anyone out

And the last one is Deffrentiate Sin2x=2sinxcosx, to devolop the identity of Cos2x

Y= Sin2x=2sinxcosx
y'=Cos2x.2 = -2cosxsinx
y'= Cos2x=-sinxcosx

But Cos2x should be equal to Cos2x-sin2x ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Mspike6 said:
Hey guys..
first, i want to ask if anyone know a good tutorial or website that can help me with the Treg. deffrentiation, and limits...cause am troubles with that :(
I got some questions..

1)

Prove the Identity Tanx+1/Tanx-1 = Secx-cscx
You probably need parentheses on the left side. Otherwise, you have (tanx) +(1/tanx) - 1, and that's probably not what you meant.
Mspike6 said:
I have no clue how to prove sucha a thing..

2)Evaluate Limx-> Pi/41-Tanx/Sinx-Cosx
Again, you probably need parentheses. Otherwise, you have (1) - (tanx/sinx) - cosx, and that's probably not what you meant.
Mspike6 said:
I tried to find any identity to change it's form, but i couldn;t figure anyone out

And the last one is Deffrentiate Sin2x=2sinxcosx, to devolop the identity of Cos2x
That's differentiate. Also, the word is trigonometry, not tregonometry.
Mspike6 said:
Y= Sin2x=2sinxcosx
y'=Cos2x.2 = -2cosxsinx
In the equation above, you have correctly differentiated sin(2x) but not 2sinxcosx. This expression is a product, so you need to use the product rule.
Mspike6 said:
y'= Cos2x=-sinxcosx

But Cos2x should be equal to Cos2x-sin2x ??
No, but the derivatative of cos(2x) should be -2sinxcosx = -2sin(2x)

Am sorry about that Mark

1)

Prove the Identity [tex]\frac{Tanx+1}{Tanx - 1}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Secx+cscx}{Secx-cscx}[/tex]

2)Evaluate Limx-> Pi/4[tex]\frac{1-Tanx}{Sinx-Cosx}[/tex]

and thanks for answering number 3 :D

For 1, I would change everything to be in terms of sine and/or cosine.
[tex]LHS~=~ \frac{\frac{sinx}{cosx} + 1}{\frac{sinx}{cosx} - 1}[/tex]

[tex]RHS~=~\frac{\frac{1}{cosx} + \frac{1}{sinx}}{\frac{1}{cosx} - \frac{1}{sinx}}[/tex]

Now multiply the left-hand sid (LHS) by 1 in the form of cosx/cosx to simplify it, and multiply the RHS by 1 in the form of (cosx*sinx)/(cosx*sinx). If you end up with LHS = RHS, you will have proved the identity.

For 2, rewrite the numerator as 1 - (sinx/cosx), and then multiply the whole expression by 1 in the form of cosx/cosx. You should be able to take the limit then.

For problem 1, ignore the RHS (left-hand side) for now.

Only look at [tex]\frac{tanx+1}{tanx - 1}[/tex]. What fundamental identities involve tangent?

[tex]tanx=\frac{sinx}{cosx} and tanx=\frac{1}{cotx}[/tex]

Any others?

What about fundamental identities that involve secant (sec) and cosecant (csc)?

Use some of the fundamental identities and see if you can get the LHS to contain only secants and cosecants.

Once you are there, you will need a little trick. If you can't figure that part out, come back and ask for more help.

Thanks for helping me guys... i got number 1 right

Mark44 said:
For 2, rewrite the numerator as 1 - (sinx/cosx), and then multiply the whole expression by 1 in the form of cosx/cosx. You should be able to take the limit then.

after doing that i got [tex]\frac{Cosz-Sinx}{SinxCosx-Cos^2 x}[/tex]

and when i take the limit, the dominator still goes to 0

Mspike6 said:

after doing that i got [tex]\frac{Cosx-Sinx}{SinxCosx-Cos^2 x}[/tex]

You have a good start.

Try L'Hôpital's rule (use only in cases where you have 0/0 or ∞/∞)

[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow c}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=lim_{n\rightarrow c}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

Then evaluate it and see what you get.

Mspike6 said:

after doing that i got [tex]\frac{Cosz-Sinx}{SinxCosx-Cos^2 x}[/tex]

Factor the denominator and you'll get some cancellation with the numerator.

singular said:
You have a good start.

Try L'Hôpital's rule (use only in cases where you have 0/0 or ∞/∞)

[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow c}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=lim_{n\rightarrow c}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

Then evaluate it and see what you get.
L'Hopital's Rule is unnecessary for this problem. Also, this is the Precalculus forum, so a calculus technique that requires the knowledge of derivatives is probably inappropriate. OTOH, the OP might have mistakenly posted here.

Mark44 said:
L'Hopital's Rule is unnecessary for this problem. Also, this is the Precalculus forum, so a calculus technique that requires the knowledge of derivatives is probably inappropriate. OTOH, the OP might have mistakenly posted here.

I only assumed because of the use of limits, which in my experience are taught in calculus.

Mspike6: I was able to check the method Mark44 is trying to help you with, so if you want to see a way that takes only a little extra work with no calculus, but ends up much simpler in the end, try to follow his tips.

Sorry for taking me to long to replay.

the course am taking is the course right befor Calculas I , It's called Pre-Calculas .

I did it the way Mark said it worked perfectly.

Thank you both Mark anf Singular..

But i would like to ask again...do you, by any chance, know a tutorial or Website that can help me with this Kinda stuff ? Like Trig Limit, Trig Identeties and such .

Thank you

Mspike6 said:
tutorial or Website that can help me with this Kinda stuff ? Like Trig Limit, Trig Identeties and such

Here is a nice http://www.pinkmonkey.com/studyguides/subjects/calc/chap2/c0202701.asp" .

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities" on trig identities is good, but it probably has more than you will ever need.

Here is a good condensed http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the curve of the function at that point.

Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives have many important applications in mathematics and science. They are used to calculate rates of change, optimize functions, and solve problems involving motion and change. They are also essential in calculus, which is the foundation of many scientific fields.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using calculus techniques, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to take the derivative of each term in the function and combine them to find the overall derivative.

What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative represents the rate of change of a function, while an integral represents the accumulation of a function over an interval. In other words, a derivative tells you how much a function is changing, while an integral tells you the total amount of the function over a given period.

How are derivatives used in real life?

Derivatives are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the growth rate of a population, and optimizing business strategies. They are also used in fields like physics, engineering, and economics to solve complex problems and make predictions.