Where can I find Medical Physics placements for a BSc student?

In summary, the individual is a second year BSc Physics with Medical Physics student looking for a 10-12 month placement in either the UK or New Zealand. They have already achieved a First in their first year and are seeking recommendations for companies or hospitals that offer Medical Physics placements. They have already applied to Renishaw and Johnson&Johnson and have also reached out to their career advisor for assistance. They are unsure of what a co-operative placement is but are looking for work experience to increase their chances of employment after graduation.
Ellie5698
Hi!

I'm currently looking for a placement in Medical Physics, either Summer or year-long. It would preferably be either in the UK or New Zealand.

I'm a second year BSc Physics with Medical Physics and achieved a First in my first year.

Could anyone recommend any companies or hospitals that offer Medical Physics placements, I've been looking around but am struggling to find many. I know Renishaw and Johnson&Johnson are offering and I've already applied to these.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a co-operative placement? (I'm not familiar with the UK or NZ systems.)

If so have you tried your department advisor? They will likely know which places that students have gotten jobs at in the past and you could follow up with these.

The other option is to simply look up the radiation therapy facilities in the areas you're interested in and inquire at the medical physics departments directly. It's rare that they would hire an undergraduate student to do QA, but it's reasonably common to have undergrad positions as research assistants, particularly at larger centres. Either way, you could look into both.

Thanks for replying,

I'm not sure exactly what a co-operative placement is but it sounds similar. I've looking for a 10-12month placement in a company or hospital in order to gain work experience and increase my chances of good employment after graduation. I'm taking an Interruption of Study to do this so it won't count towards my final degree classification.

I've spoken to our careers adviser but unfortunately they weren't very helpful. Their main advice was to keep looking into different companies and ask around, which is what I'm doing. I just thought there was a chance that someone on Physics Forums knows something I don't!

1. What is a medical physics placement?

A medical physics placement is a training opportunity for students studying medical physics to gain practical experience in a clinical setting. It allows students to work alongside professionals in the field and apply their knowledge and skills to real-world situations.

2. How long does a medical physics placement typically last?

The duration of a medical physics placement can vary, but it typically lasts for 6-12 months. Some placements may be shorter, while others can last up to 2 years depending on the program and institution.

3. What are the benefits of completing a medical physics placement?

Completing a medical physics placement can provide students with hands-on experience in a clinical environment, which can be valuable for their future career. It also allows them to network with professionals in the field and gain a better understanding of the day-to-day responsibilities of a medical physicist.

4. Are medical physics placements paid?

Some medical physics placements may offer a stipend or salary, while others may be unpaid. It is important to research the specific placement program to determine if it is paid or unpaid.

5. How can I find medical physics placement opportunities?

There are several ways to find medical physics placement opportunities. Some institutions may have a specific program for their students, while others may require students to find their own placement. Networking with professionals in the field, attending conferences, and utilizing online job boards or placement databases are all helpful ways to find placement opportunities.