Where Can I Find Resources for Calculating Rotor Forces During Auto-Rotation?

In summary, the purpose of calculating forces on a rotor is to ensure its structural integrity and optimal performance. This is done by determining the aerodynamic forces on the blades and using mathematical equations and principles to calculate the total forces. Various factors such as wind speed, rotor design, and weight can affect these forces. Accurate calculations are important to prevent damage and ensure safe and efficient operation. Computer simulations can also be used for this purpose.
rm446
Hello,

Out of curiosity I've been trying to mathematically model the forces on a rotor during auto-rotation starting with the basic lift/drag equations used for analyzing basic fixed wing flight (i.e. our beloved L = 0.5*Cl*rho*A*v^2). At first I thought this shouldn't be too hard since it's essentially the same as a fixed wing traveling over an airflow that increased linearly as you go from one end of the wing to the other. However as soon as you add a vertical component to the wind velocity angle of attack begins to vary with distance from the center of the rotor as well as velocity. This basically boils down to a very ugly integration problem and I'm just not that great at this type of mathematics and I figure someone must have done this before in a textbook somewhere.

So I just wanted to ask if anyone knows a good textbook or internet resources that does the calculation I'm trying to do. This doesn't need to specifically be auto-rotation, but any calculation that uses the basic lift/drag calculation to determine the overall forces produced by a rotor which has some vertical speed component.

(Also I have a master's in Mech. Engineering, so I can understand high level math but I have almost no exposure to aeronautical engineering beyond basic fluid dynamics.)

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
rm446 said:
Hello,

Out of curiosity I've been trying to mathematically model the forces on a rotor during auto-rotation starting with the basic lift/drag equations used for analyzing basic fixed wing flight (i.e. our beloved L = 0.5*Cl*rho*A*v^2). At first I thought this shouldn't be too hard since it's essentially the same as a fixed wing traveling over an airflow that increased linearly as you go from one end of the wing to the other. However as soon as you add a vertical component to the wind velocity angle of attack begins to vary with distance from the center of the rotor as well as velocity. This basically boils down to a very ugly integration problem and I'm just not that great at this type of mathematics and I figure someone must have done this before in a textbook somewhere.

So I just wanted to ask if anyone knows a good textbook or internet resources that does the calculation I'm trying to do. This doesn't need to specifically be auto-rotation, but any calculation that uses the basic lift/drag calculation to determine the overall forces produced by a rotor which has some vertical speed component.

(Also I have a master's in Mech. Engineering, so I can understand high level math but I have almost no exposure to aeronautical engineering beyond basic fluid dynamics.)

Thanks in advance :)

Get a book on blade-element-momentum-theory to describe what you're trying to do. It's a non trivial process.

Hi there!

I can definitely understand your curiosity about modeling the forces on a rotor during auto-rotation. It sounds like you've already put a lot of thought and effort into this, and I commend you for that.

As for resources, I would recommend checking out "Principles of Helicopter Aerodynamics" by J. Gordon Leishman. It covers rotor aerodynamics in great detail and should have the information you're looking for. There are also some online resources, such as the NASA Technical Reports Server, that may have relevant studies or papers on this topic.

I'm also a bit rusty on my aeronautical engineering, so I can't offer much help with the math aspect. However, I'm sure there are plenty of experts out there who could assist you with the integration problem you're facing. Have you considered reaching out to any aeronautical engineering forums or communities for assistance? They may have members who specialize in this area and could offer some valuable insights.

Good luck with your research and calculations! I hope you're able to find the information you're looking for. Happy flying!

1. What is the purpose of calculating forces on a rotor?

The purpose of calculating forces on a rotor is to determine the amount and direction of forces acting on the rotor in order to ensure its structural integrity and optimal performance.

2. How do you calculate the forces on a rotor?

To calculate the forces on a rotor, you need to first determine the aerodynamic forces acting on the blades, including lift and drag forces. Then, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as the Newton's second law of motion and the momentum theory, to calculate the total forces on the rotor.

3. What factors affect the forces on a rotor?

The forces on a rotor can be affected by various factors, including the speed and direction of the wind, the size and shape of the rotor blades, the airfoil design, and the weight and distribution of the rotor components.

4. Why is it important to calculate the forces on a rotor accurately?

It is crucial to calculate the forces on a rotor accurately in order to ensure its safe operation and efficient performance. If the forces are miscalculated, it can lead to structural damage, reduced energy production, and even catastrophic failures.

5. Can computer simulations be used to calculate forces on a rotor?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to calculate forces on a rotor. Advanced software programs can accurately model the aerodynamics of the rotor and calculate the forces based on various inputs, such as wind speed and rotor specifications.