Where Can I Find Rigorous Books on Physical Chemistry for Master's Level Study?

In summary, the conversation was about a master physics student looking for a book in physical chemistry that provides rigorous proofs, specifically for the Born Oppenheimer Approximation. The expert suggested Levine's "Quantum Chemistry," which is a classic textbook and a great resource for studying the quantum mechanics of molecules. The student expressed a preference for a book geared towards physicists, but the expert explained that physical chemistry is where the most careful explanation of the BO approximation can be found. The student agreed that Levine's book is a great resource.
Jamister
I'm master physics student looking for books in physical chemistry for stuff like born Oppenheimer Approximation and more. Most books give hand-waving proofs and I'm looking for a book which is more rigorous.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably Levine, "Quantum Chemistry," has what you're after. A classic textbook.

Likes Jamister
Christopher Grayce said:
Probably Levine, "Quantum Chemistry," has what you're after. A classic textbook.
not really, I'm looking for a book for physicists.. maybe I should look for a book in molecular quantum mechanics.

That's why I gave you Levine. The people who study the quantum mechanics of molecules are chemists, and a rigorous book on physical chemistry is where you'll find the most careful explanation of the BO approximation.

Likes Jamister
your'e right, it is a great book. thank you!

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter on a molecular and atomic level. It combines principles of physics and chemistry to understand and explain the behavior of molecules and atoms.

2. What are the best books for learning physical chemistry?

Some popular books for learning physical chemistry include "Physical Chemistry" by Peter Atkins and Julio de Paula, "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Donald A. McQuarrie and John D. Simon, and "Physical Chemistry" by Ira N. Levine. It is best to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the topics you are interested in.

3. What topics are typically covered in books for physical chemistry?

Books for physical chemistry cover a wide range of topics, including thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and statistical mechanics. They also often include discussions on the applications of physical chemistry in fields such as materials science, biochemistry, and environmental science.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement books for physical chemistry?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement your learning from books for physical chemistry. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and ChemLibreTexts. These resources offer lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help you better understand the concepts.

5. How can I apply the knowledge from books for physical chemistry in real life?

The knowledge gained from books for physical chemistry can be applied in various fields, such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental science. For example, understanding thermodynamics can help in designing more efficient chemical reactions, while knowledge of spectroscopy can aid in identifying unknown substances. Additionally, physical chemistry is crucial in understanding the fundamental processes that occur in our daily lives, such as cooking, digestion, and energy production.