Where can I find water vapor images?

In summary, the individual is searching for images of the daytime sky in various water vapor absorption bands, specifically looking for multispectral images that could be subtracted to show differences in water vapor levels. They have been unable to find published results and mention the high cost of bandpass filters. They suggest trying 6.7um wavelength images from the goes satellite and recommend checking the European Space Agency. The individual also mentions wanting to see images taken from a shorter range and how image processing may enhance the water vapor difference. They have found bandpass filters for a reasonable price on the Edmund Optics website.
pyroartist
I am searching for images of the daytime sky taken within the water vapor absorption bands at 940nm, 1600 nm, 1860 nm, 2700 nm or 2900 nm. Specifically I am trying to see if multispectral images of in-band and adjacent out-of-band photos could be subtracted to show areas of slight water vapor differeneces (~1%) in a clear sky at distances of 500 meters to 1500 meters.
I have hopes that someone must have done this and published the results, but I can't seem to find it. I would do this myself but the price of bandpass filters above 1000 nm. is very expensive.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Thank you Tom. There is no shortage of these images taken from 22,000 miles in space. However I want to see short range, slant path (~45 degrees) images taken from the ground or horizontally from an airplane. Image processing (subtraction) may be able to enhance the water vapor difference.

1. Where can I find water vapor images?

Water vapor images can be found on various websites such as NASA's Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the European Space Agency (ESA). These organizations provide free access to their databases of satellite imagery.

2. What satellites are used to capture water vapor images?

Satellites such as GOES (Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite), Meteosat, and MODIS (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) are commonly used to capture water vapor images. These satellites use specialized instruments to detect the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere.

3. Are there any specific tools or software to view water vapor images?

Yes, there are various tools and software that can be used to view and analyze water vapor images. Some examples include the GOES-R Series Proving Ground AWIPS (Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System) and the MODIS Atmosphere Quality Assurance (MAQA) software.

4. Can water vapor images be used for weather forecasting?

Yes, water vapor images can be used for weather forecasting. These images provide valuable information on the amount and distribution of water vapor in the atmosphere, which is an important factor in weather patterns and systems.

5. How often are water vapor images updated?

The frequency of water vapor image updates varies depending on the satellite and organization providing the images. Some satellites, such as GOES, update their images every 15 minutes, while others may update less frequently. It is best to check with the specific organization or website for the most up-to-date image availability.