Where can I get a cheap ceramic (hi temp.) superconductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses sources for YBCO demonstration kits or individual components, such as a small 1 inch diameter disk or ring. Options include purchasing kits from scientific supply houses or making the material oneself with the proper equipment and expertise. The longevity of the ceramic superconducting material is also mentioned.
Creator
I used to have one for demonstration...need to find a current source ...maybe a small 1 inch diameter disk...or preferably a ring. Any sources? Thx.

Science news on Phys.org
Creator said:
I used to have one for demonstration...need to find a current source ...maybe a small 1 inch diameter disk...or preferably a ring. Any sources? Thx.

Have you tried googling "YBCO demonstration kit"? Here are a couple of the first hits: http://www.superconductors.org/play.htm and http://www.can-superconductors.com/demonstration-kits.html

If you have access to the correct equipment and a little expertise (it's an exercise for senior undergraduates) YBCO is also fairly easy to make. However, if you only need one bit, those kits above sound good.

Likes atyy and berkeman
I would like this also so i can test my shield blueprint.

The kits are easy enough to find from any scientific supply house, like Arbor Scientific or the like. But I think the OP doesn't want to pay for the entire kit. I'm in the same boat. I have several kits, but the ceramic superconducting material degrades after a few uses and needs to be replaced. Drying it off after each use extends the life. If anyone knows of a source for just the superconducting ceramic discs please post. Thanks.

1. What is a ceramic (hi temp.) superconductor?

A ceramic superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity without resistance at high temperatures, typically above -135 degrees Celsius. This is in contrast to traditional superconductors, which require extremely low temperatures (close to absolute zero) to achieve the same effect.

2. Where can I find a cheap ceramic (hi temp.) superconductor?

Ceramic superconductors are still relatively new and expensive materials, so finding a cheap one may be difficult. However, some companies and research institutions may offer discounted prices for bulk purchases or for academic use.

3. What are the benefits of using a ceramic (hi temp.) superconductor?

The main benefit of using a ceramic superconductor is its ability to conduct electricity without resistance at higher temperatures, making it more practical for real-world applications. This can lead to more efficient and compact technologies, such as faster and more powerful electronic devices, improved medical equipment, and more efficient energy transmission and storage systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using a ceramic (hi temp.) superconductor?

While ceramic superconductors have many advantages, they also have some limitations. One major limitation is their fragility, as they are brittle and can easily break under stress. They also require special handling and processing techniques, which can increase the overall cost of using them.

5. What is the current state of research on ceramic (hi temp.) superconductors?

Ceramic superconductors are still a relatively new and active area of research. Scientists are constantly working to improve their properties and find new ways to use them in various fields. Some current areas of research include finding ways to increase their critical temperature (the temperature at which they become superconducting) and developing more cost-effective production methods.