SO2 Conversion Equilibrium Curve

In summary, the conversation is about drawing an equilibrium curve for the conversion of SO2 to SO3 using the given equations and temperature data, but more data is needed to accurately plot the conversion ratio. The equations provided can be used to calculate the equilibrium constant (Kp) and ultimately the conversion ratio, but additional information on total pressure is necessary for an accurate plot.
dragon01
TL;DR Summary
Conversion Equilibrium Curve
Hi...
i want to draw Equilibrium curve for SO2 oxidation to SO3, i found following relations but don't know to use them... kindly tell me how to draw Equilibrium curve using these equations or any source on web from where i can get directly SO2 oxidation data Vs Temp?

Equations are following;

1. Kp = (PSO3) /(PSO2) (PO2)1/2
2. log Kp = (4956 /T) - 4.678
thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
dragon01 said:
i want to draw Equilibrium curve for SO2 oxidation to SO3

It is not clear what you are looking for, please elaborate.

Kp is the equilibrium constant for the process so technically just using the second equation to make a plot of Kp vs T is a possible answer. That is, assuming by "curve" you mean the dependence on the temperature, because even that is not clear from your post.

Borek said:
It is not clear what you are looking for, please elaborate.

Kp is the equilibrium constant for the process so technically just using the second equation to make a plot of Kp vs T is a possible answer. That is, assuming by "curve" you mean the dependence on the temperature, because even that is not clear from your post.

Well, I should find the equilibrium curve of conversion of SO2 in SO3. I should have on the Y axes the conversion ratio, on the X axes the Temperature measured in Kelvin. I have the definition of Kp as showed, but I really don’t know how to elaborate a graph on excel with this characteristics

There is not enough data - conversion ratio is not only a function of Kp and T, but also of total pressure.

For a given pressure you should be able to calculate the conversion ratio from Kc (probably with some additional assumptions about initial amounts/volume), then making a plot is easy.

1. What is SO2 conversion equilibrium curve?

The SO2 conversion equilibrium curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the concentration of SO2 and its conversion rate in a chemical reaction. It shows how the conversion of SO2 changes as the concentration of reactants and products reach equilibrium.

2. How is the SO2 conversion equilibrium curve determined?

The SO2 conversion equilibrium curve is determined through experimental data, where the concentration of SO2 and its conversion rate are measured at different points in time. These data points are then plotted on a graph and connected to form the equilibrium curve.

3. What factors affect the shape of the SO2 conversion equilibrium curve?

The shape of the SO2 conversion equilibrium curve is affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and presence of catalysts. Changes in these factors can shift the curve to the left or right, indicating a change in the equilibrium point.

4. How does the SO2 conversion equilibrium curve relate to Le Chatelier's principle?

The SO2 conversion equilibrium curve is a visual representation of Le Chatelier's principle, which states that a system at equilibrium will respond to changes by shifting in a direction that minimizes the effect of the change. In the case of the SO2 conversion equilibrium curve, changes in concentration, temperature, or pressure will cause the curve to shift in order to maintain equilibrium.

5. What is the significance of the SO2 conversion equilibrium curve?

The SO2 conversion equilibrium curve is important in understanding the behavior of chemical reactions and predicting the conditions necessary to achieve a desired conversion rate. It also helps in optimizing reaction conditions to increase efficiency and yield in industrial processes involving SO2.