Where can i get a mechanical engineer for prototype

In summary, if you want a prototype built without a lot of fuss and expense, you might want to try contacting local businesses or professionals in your region who may be able to help.
manp
I need a prototype built. The main design I have sorted out but need the engineer to tweak it here and there. I've tried googling it and the results are top companies which are very expensive, is there anywhere I could find an individual who can do this work for me? Or would any of yiu guys happen to know someone who can create prototypes (doesnt have to be the polished version, just needs to be good enough for me to see whether its workable or not)

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what kind of prototype you want built.

I would start local and contact MEs who live or work near you. I'm sure they would listen to what you want done, and could advise you on who to contact should they not be able to render assistance with your project.

manp said:
I need a prototype built. The main design I have sorted out but need the engineer to tweak it here and there. I've tried googling it and the results are top companies which are very expensive, is there anywhere I could find an individual who can do this work for me? Or would any of yiu guys happen to know someone who can create prototypes (doesnt have to be the polished version, just needs to be good enough for me to see whether its workable or not)

I second SK's suggestion. You can also use websites like LinkedIn and Craig's List to search for people in your area. You can look at local metal shops too, since they often are used for making prototypes.

manp said:
That job needs R&D or A&D skills. There are companies I know in top countries like Canada, US, UK or Germany agreeing to pay a lot for their R&D team. Even when you would want to hire a contractor to do that, he would be a professional one. Yet none of the experienced, old freelancers I know are any bad by the way. Certainly the more skills you need, the higher you may have to pay.

I understand the importance of finding the right engineer for your prototype. Building a prototype is a crucial step in the development of any new product or technology, and it requires expertise and attention to detail.

One option for finding a mechanical engineer for your prototype is to reach out to local universities or technical colleges. These institutions often have engineering programs and may have students or recent graduates who are looking for hands-on experience in their field. They may be willing to work on your prototype at a lower cost or even for free in exchange for the opportunity to gain practical experience.

Another option is to utilize online platforms that connect freelancers with clients. These platforms allow you to post your project and receive bids from various engineers. You can review their profiles, portfolios, and reviews from previous clients to find the right fit for your project. This can be a more cost-effective option compared to hiring a top company.

Additionally, you can network with other professionals in your industry or attend local engineering events to find potential engineers who may be able to help you with your prototype. Word-of-mouth recommendations can often lead to finding skilled individuals who are not as well-known or expensive as top companies.

In conclusion, there are various ways to find a mechanical engineer for your prototype that can fit your budget. By exploring different options and networking, you may be able to find an individual who can help you with your project and bring your design to life. I wish you the best of luck in your search!

1. Where can I find a mechanical engineer for my prototype?

There are several ways to find a mechanical engineer for your prototype. One option is to search for engineering firms or companies that specialize in product design and development. You can also attend industry events or conferences to network with engineers. Another option is to use online platforms such as LinkedIn or Upwork to connect with freelance mechanical engineers.

2. What qualifications should I look for in a mechanical engineer for my prototype?

When looking for a mechanical engineer for your prototype, it is important to consider their qualifications and experience. Look for someone with a degree in mechanical engineering and relevant work experience in product design and development. It is also beneficial to find someone with experience in the specific industry or type of product you are working on.

3. How much should I expect to pay for a mechanical engineer for my prototype?

The cost of hiring a mechanical engineer for your prototype can vary depending on their experience, location, and the complexity of your project. Rates can range from $50 to $150 per hour or a fixed project fee. It is important to discuss budget and expectations with potential engineers before hiring to ensure a good fit.

4. Can I hire a mechanical engineer from a different country for my prototype?

Yes, it is possible to hire a mechanical engineer from a different country for your prototype. With the rise of remote work and online platforms, it is easier than ever to connect with engineers from around the world. However, it is important to consider potential language and cultural barriers, as well as any additional costs for international communication and shipping of prototypes.

5. How involved will the mechanical engineer be in the prototype development process?

The level of involvement of a mechanical engineer in the prototype development process can vary depending on their role and your preferences. Some engineers may handle all aspects of the design and development, while others may just provide consultation and guidance. It is important to clearly communicate expectations and roles before starting the project to ensure a smooth and successful partnership.