Where Did I Go Wrong? Solving a Block and Pulley Problem with Friction

• Thread starter Lord Anoobis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a block of mass M is connected to a block of mass m by a light cord and a pulley, with the mass m hanging a height h above the ground. The goal is to derive an expression for the speed of the block m just before it hits the ground, taking into account the coefficient of friction μk. The group discusses the incorrect solution, which was due to accounting for the work done on the system twice, and the correct approach of using the equation Total Initial Energy + Work Done on System = Total Final Energy.
Lord Anoobis
μ

Homework Statement

A simple diagram shows a block of mass M on a horizontal table with a light cord running from it to the right over a pulley at the edge of the table. At the other end of the cord hangs a block of mass m, which is a height h above the ground. The problem is to derive an expression for the speed of the block m just before it hits the floor if the coefficient of friction for the block on the table is μk.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, let me say that my second attempt at this problem led to the correct answer. However, this is of little consolation, because the reason behind the error in the first effort and its subsequent rectification is not clear.

I used the tension in the cord ##T = \frac{mMg(μ_k + 1)}{m + M}## to determine the work done by that force, the friction the already incorporated. This work, ##W_T## is a negative quantity, so

##W_T = -\frac{mMgh(μ_k + 1)}{m + M}##

Then followed ##K + W_T = U_g## leading to

##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 - \frac{mMgh(μ_k + 1)}{m + M} = mgh##

And some manipulation leads to the incorrect expression. Changing the negative sign to positive in the above equation gives the correct answer. What is the error here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Anoobis said:
##W_T = -\frac{mMgh(μ_k + 1)}{m + M}##
This being an expression for the work done by tension on the hanging mass m, correct?

Then followed ##K + W_T = U_g##
Can you flesh out how you obtained this equation?

Ordinarily, one would start with Total Initial Energy + Work Done on System = Total Final Energy.

jbriggs444 said:
This being an expression for the work done by tension on the hanging mass m, correct?Can you flesh out how you obtained this equation?

Ordinarily, one would start with Total Initial Energy + Work Done on System = Total Final Energy.
Yes, that expression is the work done by tension. For the other, I added the kinetic energy of the block at ground level to the work done by tension and set it equal to the initial gravitational potential energy.

Lord Anoobis said:
Yes, that expression is the work done by tension. For the other, I added the kinetic energy of the block at ground level to the work done by tension and set it equal to the initial gravitational potential energy.

So that would be:

Final Total Energy + Work Done on System = Initial Total Energy.

Can you see the difference between that and the starting point that I suggested?

jbriggs444 said:
So that would be:

Final Total Energy + Work Done on System = Initial Total Energy.

Can you see the difference between that and the starting point that I suggested?

Sorry for the delay, I rushed back as quickly as possible. What I see now is that with ##K + W_T = U_g##, I basically accounted for work done on the system twice, correct?

Lord Anoobis said:
Sorry for the delay, I rushed back as quickly as possible. What I see now is that with ##K + W_T = U_g##, I basically accounted for work done on the system twice, correct?
Lots of ways to look at it.

Work went on the wrong side of the equal sign. Or...
The work had the wrong sign. Or...
The work was evaluated on the forward path but the equation applied to the reversed path. Or...
The work was added when it should have been subtracted.

But yes, the net effect is to have an error equal to twice the magnitude of the work.

jbriggs444 said:
Lots of ways to look at it.

Work went on the wrong side of the equal sign. Or...
The work had the wrong sign. Or...
The work was evaluated on the forward path but the equation applied to the reversed path. Or...
The work was added when it should have been subtracted.

But yes, the net effect is to have an error equal to twice the magnitude of the work.
A valuable lesson learned. Thanks a bunch.

What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another. In order for work to be done, there must be a force applied to an object, and the object must move in the direction of the force.

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy, and energy is the ability to do work. They are measured in the same units (joules) and have the same SI unit (kg*m^2/s^2).

What are the different types of energy?

There are several types of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy, and nuclear energy.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

What are the different types of signs used in work and energy calculations?

The most commonly used signs in work and energy calculations are positive (+) and negative (-). Positive signs are used to indicate work being done by a system, while negative signs indicate work being done on a system. Other signs that may be used include the delta symbol (Δ), which represents change, and the equal sign (=), which is used to show that the work done by a system is equal to the change in energy of that system.