Where Did I Go Wrong? Solving for Angular Momentum in Air Table Puck Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance from the center of mass (CoM) to the center of puck 1, denoted as y1, in symbolic form for part (a). The solution involves using the center of mass of each puck as the origin and calculating the vertical distance from the origin to the CoM of puck 2, denoted as r3. The final calculation for y1 is shown as y1 = (m2(r1+r2))/(m1+m2), and the correct notation for CoM is also clarified.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For part(a),
1675366620399.png

The solution is,
1675370648471.png

However, I made a mistake somewhere in my working below and I'm not sure what it is. Does anybody please know? Thank you!

Here is a not too scale diagram at the moment of the collision,
1675366935512.png

## \vec L = \vec r \times \vec p ##
## \vec L = -y_{com}\hat j \times m_1v\hat i ##
## \vec L = y_{com}m_1v\hat k ##
## \vec L = \frac {m_2m_1v(r_1 +r_2)}{m_1 + m_2}\hat k ##

Attachments

• 1675366850583.png
    1675366850583.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a) please show what the distance ##y_1## from the CoM to the center of puck 1 is and how you got it in symbolic form.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
For part (a) please show what the distance ##y_1## from the CoM to the center of puck 1 is and how you got it in symbolic form.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

I assume that the COM of each puck is at the geometric center.

Choosing the center of ##m_1## as the origin where ##y = 0## and let ##r_3## be the vertical distance from ## y = 0## to the COM of ##m_2##.

## y_1 = y_{com} = \frac {m_1(0) + m_2r_3} {m_1 + m_2} ##

## y_1 = \frac {m_2(r_1 + r_2)} {m_1 + m_2} ##

Then substituting in values,

## y_1 = \frac {0.12(0.1)} {0.2} ##
## y_1 = 0.06 m ##

Also please see post #1, I missed some of the notations so I have edited it.

Many thanks!

Thank you for your help @kuruman! I see now how they got their answer. I think I got confused because the solutions calculated the ##y_{com}## from a different point. Good idea to use ##y_1## notation for calculations of CoM with respect to different origins!Many thanks!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision, the total angular momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the sum of the angular momentum of all objects involved in the collision before and after the collision remains the same.

3. What is an air table puck collision?

An air table puck collision is a physics experiment that involves two pucks colliding on a smooth surface, such as an air table. This allows for minimal friction and air resistance, making it easier to analyze the collision.

4. How do you solve for angular momentum in an air table puck collision?

To solve for angular momentum in an air table puck collision, you will need to measure the moment of inertia and angular velocity of each puck before and after the collision. Then, use the conservation of angular momentum equation (L = Iω) to calculate the angular momentum of each puck.

5. What are some common sources of error when solving for angular momentum in an air table puck collision?

Some common sources of error when solving for angular momentum in an air table puck collision include inaccurate measurements of moment of inertia and angular velocity, friction on the air table surface, and air resistance affecting the motion of the pucks.