Where do antireflective coatings reflect light?

In summary, an index matching antireflective coating on a conducting substrate causes destructive interference in the direction of specular reflection, but the energy must be conserved and thus is reflected in a different direction. To determine the new angle of reflection, the concept of absorption is often used in articles. However, the angle of the small amount of reflected light will remain the same as if the coating were not present, as the refraction affects all light passing through.
Christofer Br
Lets consider an index matching antireflective coating on a conducting substrate (i.e. salisbury screen). The waves reflected destructively interfere in the direction of specular reflection. However, the energy has to be conserved, and since it is not transmitted, it most me reflected in a different direction. How do i figure out the new angle of reflection?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi,

In articles they use the term absorbed when there is no reflection. Is there a basis for your
Christofer Br said:
the energy has to be conserved, and since it is not transmitted, it must me reflected in a different direction

Christofer Br said:
How do i figure out the new angle of reflection?
The angle for the inevitable tiny bit of reflected light will be the same as if the coating were not there. The light that would have been reflected will go through with the main beam because the refraction acts on everything that goes through.

1. What is the purpose of antireflective coatings?

Antireflective coatings are designed to reduce the amount of light that is reflected off of a surface, increasing the amount of light that is transmitted through the surface. This helps to improve visibility and clarity, especially in situations where glare and reflections can be distracting or problematic.

2. Where are antireflective coatings commonly used?

Antireflective coatings are commonly used on eyeglasses, camera lenses, and other optical devices where reducing glare and reflections is important for clear vision. They are also used on computer and phone screens, solar panels, and other surfaces where improving light transmission is beneficial.

3. How do antireflective coatings work?

Antireflective coatings work by using multiple layers of thin films with varying refractive indexes to cancel out the reflections of light that occur when it passes through a surface. This allows more light to pass through the surface, resulting in less glare and improved visibility.

4. Do antireflective coatings reflect any light?

Antireflective coatings are designed to minimize reflections, but they do not eliminate them completely. Some light will still reflect off the surface, but the amount is significantly reduced compared to a surface without the coating.

5. Can antireflective coatings be applied to any surface?

Antireflective coatings can be applied to a wide range of surfaces, including glass, plastic, and metal. However, the type and thickness of the coating may vary depending on the surface material and the desired level of reflection reduction.