Thin film interference and anti-reflective coating

In summary, the system can produce either constructive or destructive interference depending on the thickness of the water layer.
mayer
Hi,
I actually have two questions that are somewhat related so I am including them in one post. I add much more detail about the system then probably necessary because I'd like to see if I have a correct understanding of how the system works in addition to the question itself. Please bear with me haha. The actual question I underlined. Thank You very much.

1) Say we have a three layer system consisting of air,water, and plastic, in order. Air has the least index of refraction and plastic has the most. If you shine the laser on the water/air interface, you get two waves, one reflected(by 180 degrees) and the other refracted. The refracted ray will go down and hit the water/plastic interface and produce two waves as well, one reflected(by 180 degrees) and one refracted. Now this system can produce either constructive or destructive interference depending on the thickness of the water layer, correct?

2) My second question refers to anti-reflective coating on eyeglasses. So after a light wave is incident upon the air(n=1)/coating(n=1.2) interface, there is a reflection(by 180 degrees) and a refraction. The refracted portion of the wave goes down to the coating/glass(n=1.5) interface and reflects(by 180 degrees) and refracts again. This new reflected wave goes back to the air/coating interface and, if the thickness of the coat is "some integer" + 1/4 lambda( so that the path length the wave travels forwards and back is "some integer" + 1/2 lambda), the refracted wave will cancel out the first reflected wave. I read that this causes more light to penetrate through the glasses and less to be reflected. I understand how less would be reflected, but why would there be more light penetrating in? How is that portion of light that was deconstructively eliminated seemingly being reallocated to the light that penetrates through?

Science news on Phys.org
1. correct.
2. you just calculated that no light gets reflected - if not all the light gets transmitted, then where does it go?

Thanks for the reply! Hmm I think the rest of my trouble with #2 could be condensed to this "is the destructive interference of the reflected waves the equivalent of saying that no light was reflected?
Edit:
Wait, that was a bit redundant haha, i still can't completely wrap my mind around how the cancellation of the relected wave results in more waves going through. In other words, in answer to your question, in my mind, it hasn't suddenly just disappeared but, rather, subtracted.

Last edited:
It's because the theory you just learned is incomplete.
Treat it as a way of doing a calculation rather than following a physical process.
Later you will learn about transmission and reflection coefficients.

Ahh icic, All questions answered. Thanks!

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, causing interference. This results in certain colors being amplified or cancelled out, creating a colorful or dark appearance.

2. How is thin film interference used in anti-reflective coatings?

Anti-reflective coatings use thin film interference to reduce the amount of reflected light on a surface. By layering thin films of different refractive indexes, the coating is able to cancel out certain wavelengths of light, resulting in reduced glare and increased clarity.

3. What materials are commonly used in anti-reflective coatings?

The most commonly used materials in anti-reflective coatings are metal oxides, such as titanium dioxide and silicon dioxide. These materials have a high refractive index, allowing them to effectively cancel out reflected light.

4. How does the thickness of a thin film affect interference?

The thickness of a thin film plays a crucial role in determining the colors and intensity of interference. When the thickness of a film is equal to half the wavelength of the incident light, constructive interference occurs and the color is intensified. When the thickness is equal to a whole wavelength, destructive interference occurs and the color is cancelled out.

5. What are the benefits of using anti-reflective coatings?

Anti-reflective coatings have many benefits, including reducing eye strain and fatigue, improving contrast and clarity, and enhancing the overall appearance of eyeglasses, camera lenses, and other optical surfaces. They also help to protect the surface from scratches and smudges.