Where Do Parallel Rays Focus After Passing Through a Solid Glass Sphere?

In summary, when a narrow beam of parallel rays enters a solid glass sphere in a radial direction, it can be split into two concave lenses. The first lens has a refracting surface with a distance of infinity and a radius of curvature of 4.00cm, and the second lens has a distance of 4.00cm from the first surface, a radius of curvature of -4.00cm, and a refractive index of 1.8. Using these values, the rays are brought to a focus at a distance of 0.5cm from the second surface.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

A narrow beam of parallel rays enters a solid glass sphere in a radial direction. At what point outside the sphere are these rays brought to a focus? The radius of the sphere is 4.00cm and its index of refraction is 1.80

Homework Equations

na/s+nb/s'=(nb-na)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to split the sphere into two concave lenses (I'm not even sure this is a good idea though).

Then for the first one, I used the formula above and the following values:
s=infinity, s'=?, R=4.00, nb=1.8, na=1.00 to get s' of 9.0cm. At this point, I'm wondering if this 9.0cm is from the surface of the sphere? I decided to go with this idea.
Then s=2*4.00cm-9.0cm=-1.0cm for the second refracting surface. nb will still be 1.8 and na is 1. Finding s' this way, I get 1.5.

The textbook says it should be 0.5... I've run out of ideas for this question. I don't think it should be hard, maybe I'm overthinking it. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I believe you are on the right track with your approach of splitting the sphere into two concave lenses. However, I think your error lies in your calculation for the second refracting surface.

The first part of your calculation, where you use the formula na/s+nb/s'=(nb-na)/R, is correct. However, when you move on to the second surface, you should use the following values: s=4.00cm (since this is the distance from the first surface), s'=?, R=-4.00cm (since the radius of curvature of the second surface is in the opposite direction), nb=1.8, and na=1.

Using these values, you should get an s' value of 0.5cm, which is the correct answer.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion. Keep up the good work!

Related to Where Do Parallel Rays Focus After Passing Through a Solid Glass Sphere?

1. What is a solid glass sphere?

A solid glass sphere is a three-dimensional shape made entirely out of glass, with no empty spaces or hollowed out areas. It is typically perfectly round and smooth, and can vary in size from a few millimeters to several meters in diameter.

2. How is a solid glass sphere made?

A solid glass sphere is typically made using a process called glass blowing, where molten glass is blown into a mold or shaped by hand to create the desired spherical shape. It can also be made by melting and molding glass pieces together, or by grinding and polishing a piece of glass into a sphere.

3. What are the properties of a solid glass sphere?

A solid glass sphere has many properties, including high transparency and optical clarity, as well as being able to reflect and refract light. It is also very strong and durable, and can withstand high temperatures and pressures.

4. What are the uses of a solid glass sphere?

Solid glass spheres have a variety of uses in different industries. They are commonly used in optics and lens manufacturing, as they can be shaped and polished to have precise optical properties. They are also used in scientific experiments, jewelry making, and as decorative objects.

5. How does a solid glass sphere differ from a hollow glass sphere?

The main difference between a solid glass sphere and a hollow glass sphere is that the solid sphere has no empty space inside, while the hollow sphere has a cavity or void within it. This difference affects the weight, strength, and optical properties of the spheres, making them suitable for different purposes.