Where do the missing minutes in a live feed from a spaceship to Mars go?

• I
  • Thread starter John_melb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noob Time
In summary: I'm watching a movie and the spaceship takes off to Mars, and then returns a few minutes later, does the movie still play correctly?The movie plays correctly, but the spaceship is moving so fast that it's hard to see the details.
John_melb
Hi, I've just discovered this site, and I'm hoping someone can give a lay answer to the following question:

Imagine I'm watching a constant live feed from a camera on a spaceship that's next to me, and this spaceship then takes off to Mars. When the spaceship reaches Mars, the video feed that I'll be watching will be minutes in the past due to the time it takes for the signal to reach Earth. However, if I'm watching a constant feed, then where did these missing minutes go, or rather, where did the extra minutes of footage come from, and how was it introduced into my constant stream? Does it have something to do with this?

Thanks in advance.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
John_melb said:
Hi, I've just discovered this site,
Welcome to PF - well spotted!
A great piece of what we could now call 'old fashioned' TV and there is no doubt that it was genuine. The same thing could have been in a Hollywood movie and we could doubt what it shows. Sandra Bullock looks very nice in the film Gravity but that's not real Physics! Clunky bits of wood and metal are more reliable than the dreaded 'simulations' that we so often see on TV or on our computers.
To answer your question, the message in the movie needs to be extended a bit. (It is not necessary to include Special Relativity or anything fancy for a simple answer. ) When the spaceship crew are moving away from you, the distance to the on-board ticking clock is gradually increasing so a TV signal of that clock that you receive will show those ticks, equally spaced in time but each tick takes (very slightly) longer to reach you than the last. Their apparent frequency will be lower than when the clock was back on Earth. This is the well known Doppler Shift effect. Over the whole journey, these time differences or phases (between the Ship and Earth frames) add up to minutes of delay that you describe. Half way there, the delay (in the Earth's reference frame) will be half what it is from Mars. On a simple model, it doesn't matter how fast the ship has been travelling. A slow journey will involve many more ticks with very little extra delay each whilst a fast journey will involve fewer ticks with larger delay each.
The total time delay (phase) is proportional to the frequency difference times the transit time.

Likes Jehannum, John_melb and fresh_42
Just to add a simple example. If you're listening to a radio that constantly is driven away from your position, you will have the same delays. At a few hundred meters you will hear the effect. In former times when the starting pistol of a 100 m run hadn't been connected to the electronic system, one could hear, that the bang has been always a little late compared to what we saw on the TV screen when the runners started, because the microphones have been somewhere else in the stadium.

Likes John_melb and sophiecentaur
Thanks all for the explanation! So, is it fair to say that if the video on the spaceship was of people playing basketball, then the further away the spaceship travels from me, then the more they will be seen to play in slow motion?

If you look at the movie, carefully, at the beginning, whilst he's in the upside down chair, the smoke form his pipe moves slightly 'downwards', despite the fact that he blows it sideways. :smile:

John_melb said:
However, if I'm watching a constant feed, then where did these missing minutes go, or rather, where did the extra minutes of footage come from, and how was it introduced into my constant stream?
there are no extra minutes.

This will make more sense if you consider that a "live video feed" is actually a series of still frames being transmitted one after the next. Suppose the ship sends 100 frames per second, and suppose the ship is moving at 30 km/sec. The first frame leaves the ship at time zero just as it launches, so it's also received at time zero. The second frame is sent at time 10 msecs; the ship is 300 meters away so that frame is received at time 10.000001 msecs. By then the ship has moved a bit farther along so we haven't actually lost any time; the ship is exactly where it is supposed to be at 10.000001 msecs. The third frame is sent at time 20 msecs when the ship is 600 meters away, and it's received at time 20.000002 msecs...

The ship is transmitting at 100 frames per second, one frame every 10 msecs, but we're receiving one frame every 10.000001 msecs - the feed is slowed by one part in one million. A trip to Mars takes long enough for that to add up to eight minutes.

Last edited:
Likes pixel and John_melb
John_melb said:
Thanks all for the explanation! So, is it fair to say that if the video on the spaceship was of people playing basketball, then the further away the spaceship travels from me, then the more they will be seen to play in slow motion?
Their motion (rate of waving arms and legs etc) will be 'slowed down by a constant amount - depending on the speed of recession but not on where they are. The delay but not the frequency will change along the journey.

I wonder if your idea is based on how the Doppler effect is experienced with passing vehicles. This is because the path of the vehicle is to one side of the observer and the relative velocity is not constant, due to the trigonometry of the situation. We assume here that the path of the ship is directly away from the observer (distances being much greater than for traffic on a road).

John_melb said:
Almost. The faster the ship is moving, the more they will appear to be in slow motion. The distance doesn't affect the slow motion.

You might want to google for "Doppler effect"... It's related.

Likes John_melb
Nugatory said:
This will make more sense if you consider that a "live video feed" is actually a series of still frames being transmitted one after the next.
That's an interesting way of putting it. If the TV display sync is locked to Earth Frame, what you would see would be a picture of a basketball game which rolls slowly downward and to the right (just like in the bad old days where sync was the first thing to be lost when the signal was dodgy.)

Likes Nugatory
Excellent--I think I get it now! Yeah, I was referring to speed of recession rather than the distance from the observer. sophiecentaur, I guess your "frequency" reference is analogous to Nugatory's "frame" reference.

John_melb said:
I guess your "frequency" reference is analogous to Nugatory's "frame" reference.
Yes. A continuous change of distance (relative shift of reference frame) causes a frequency change of the frames per second.

1. What is time?

Time is a fundamental concept that measures the duration of events. It is often defined as the progression of events from the past, through the present, and into the future.

2. How is time measured?

Time is measured in seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years. These units of time are based on the Earth's rotation and orbit around the sun.

3. Can time be manipulated?

Time cannot be physically manipulated, but its perception can be altered. For example, time can seem to go by faster or slower depending on one's state of mind or physical environment.

4. What is the difference between time and space?

Time and space are two separate concepts, but they are closely related. While time measures the duration of events, space measures the distance between objects. Time is also considered the fourth dimension of space-time.

5. How does time relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that time is relative and can be affected by the speed and gravitational pull of objects. This means that time can pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative motions and positions.