Where have all the science helpers gone?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the changes and departures of active members in a physics forum. The participants reflect on the transience of online communities and how people come and go for various reasons. They also touch on the changing attitudes of newer members compared to those in the past. It is suggested that these changes may be related to larger societal changes and shifts in values. Overall, the conversation highlights the impermanence and evolution of online communities and the impact of human nature on their dynamics.
gracy
I was looking at some old threads
There I found some answers really helpful but the sad thing is their answerers are no longer there in physics forum.Some have last visited in 2013 some have in 2012.Where did they go?They were very active and responsible in helping others why they then suddenly stopped posting?I really miss tiny-tim.And now bystander has also not visited for one week I am afraid if he would have also left this amazing forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are all but sailors carried by the capricious currents of life. Sometimes we chance upon a calmer spell, set adrift in slow waters where the tired hands can rest and the mind can wander. Then we alight on a quiet lagoon or a stretch of sand, and meet others to tell stories and exchange what little wisdom we gathered.
But none tarry too long. Some get carried away to lands rich and exotic, never looking back. Some get back on the busy route they once took a break from, hoping to come back if time permits. Others board their vessels only to get swallowed by the vastness of the sea, for some boats are old and leaky, while some are just less seaworthy than we'd wish them to be.
So while the lagoon remains, its inhabitants come and go. And that's how it should be.

Likes adjacent, HomogenousCow, berkeman and 17 others
One thing I have noticed is that people who come with questions have grown more entitled, more demanding, and less grateful than in the past. It should not be surprising if people find other activities to occupy their time,

Likes Imager, strangerep, Ryan_m_b and 1 other person
Bandersnatch said:
We are all but sailors carried by the capricious currents of life. Sometimes we chance upon a calmer spell, set adrift in slow waters where the tired hands can rest and the mind can wander. Then we alight on a quiet lagoon or a stretch of sand, and meet others to tell stories and exchange what little wisdom we gathered.
But none tarry too long. Some get carried away to lands rich and exotic, never looking back. Some get back on the busy route they once took a break from, hoping to come back if time permits. Others board their vessels only to get swallowed by the vastness of the sea, for some boats are old and leaky, while some are just less seaworthy than we'd wish them to be.
So while the lagoon remains, its inhabitants come and go. And that's how it should be.
Bandersnatch, that's not just a post on an internet forum. That's poetry :kiss:.

Likes epenguin and davenn
Bandersnatch said:

Copyright it!

WWGD said:
Copyright it!
Heh. It's open source :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:
One thing I have noticed is that people who come with questions have grown more entitled, more demanding, and less grateful than in the past. It should not be surprising if people find other activities to occupy their time,

Back in my day, we walked 20 miles to the forum, uphill both ways, and we were thankful for it!

Likes dlgoff, epenguin and Bandersnatch
dipole said:
Back in my day, we walked 20 miles to the forum, uphill both ways, and we were thankful for it!
You had legs? You had hills? You're lucky!

WWGD said:
You had legs? You had hills? You're lucky!
Luxury. We used to live in a lake.

Likes WWGD
dipole said:
Yeah, I did that too, but barefoot and carrying my crippled sister on my back so she could participate.

Vanadium 50 said:
Very true. It also happens in real life.

I sometimes leave, but it's because I'm like super random. So I guess other people are super random too.

Vanadium 50 said:
By the past, do you mean the earlier years of PF ? What do you think is the reason for this ?

montadhar said:
By the past, do you mean the earlier years of PF ? What do you think is the reason for this ?
I'm guessing human nature. Look at human kids from 2015. They've grown more entitled, more demanding and less grateful than those kids in say the 1960's. It's just an example, I was definitely very far from being born in the 1960s. More than 30 years before I was born so I don't know how grateful were those kids, but I'm guessing more than today. Just like when the 1930s kids were probably grateful for the little food their parent's could provide them while the 1960's kids were probably not so much as they probably didn't deemed it important to be. (These are suppositions of mine, impossible to know with certainty without a social study.)

Likes davenn
I contacted SAs who we hadn't seen in awhile a few months ago and most replied back saying interests had changed or amount of free time changed. They had nothing but good things to say about PF and hoped in the future they'd find the time.

Over the course of our 14 year history we've had many active members come and go. I miss many of them. Luckily we generally seem to replace those we lose. It's just the nature of a community.

Likes dlgoff and PWiz
Does anyone of you know where Bystander and tiny tim are?

gracy said:
Does anyone of you know where Bystander and tiny tim are?
I could be wrong, but I heard they both stalked off in a huff because they weren't given the Bieber avatar. :biggrin:

Likes CalcNerd and Greg Bernhardt
NascentOxygen said:
I could be wrong, but I heard they both stalked off in a huff because they weren't given the Bieber avatar. :biggrin:
"NOT COOL!".

bystander is back.I am really happy :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Likes NascentOxygen and Greg Bernhardt
Now your name suits you perfectly,you are truly a @Bystander .Far ,aside from my threads.

Bandersnatch said:

Psinter said:
I'm guessing human nature. Look at human kids from 2015. They've grown more entitled, more demanding and less grateful than those kids in say the 1960's. It's just an example, I was definitely very far from being born in the 1960s. More than 30 years before I was born so I don't know how grateful were those kids, but I'm guessing more than today. Just like when the 1930s kids were probably grateful for the little food their parent's could provide them while the 1960's kids were probably not so much as they probably didn't deemed it important to be. (These are suppositions of mine, impossible to know with certainty without a social study.)

Look at human kids from 200 BC. They've grown more entitled, more demanding and less grateful than those kids in say the 300 BC's. It's just an example, I was definitely very far from being born in the 300 BC's. More than 2297 years before I was born so I don't know how grateful were those kids, but I'm guessing more than the kids in the 200 BC's. Just like when the 400 BC's kids were probably grateful for the little food their parents could provide them while the 300 BC's kids were probably not so much as they probably didn't deemed it important to be. (These are suppositions of mine, impossible to know with certainty without a social study).

Thread locked.

1. What is a "Disappeared Science Helper"?

A "Disappeared Science Helper" refers to a scientific concept or theory that was once widely accepted and studied, but has since been disproven or replaced by newer, more accurate information.

2. How do "Disappeared Science Helpers" impact current scientific research?

"Disappeared Science Helpers" can have a significant impact on current scientific research by highlighting the importance of continuously questioning and testing established theories, and by providing a cautionary reminder to not hold onto outdated ideas.

3. What are some famous examples of "Disappeared Science Helpers"?

One example is the geocentric model of the universe, which was replaced by the heliocentric model proposed by Copernicus. Another example is the theory of spontaneous generation, which was disproven by Louis Pasteur's experiments on biogenesis.

4. Why do some scientific ideas become "Disappeared Science Helpers"?

There are various reasons why scientific ideas may become "Disappeared Science Helpers." It could be due to new evidence or advancements in technology that disprove the theory, or it could be because the theory was based on flawed or limited information.

5. How can we prevent future "Disappeared Science Helpers"?

We can prevent future "Disappeared Science Helpers" by promoting a culture of critical thinking and open-mindedness in the scientific community. This includes constantly reevaluating and questioning established theories, as well as being open to new ideas and evidence.